• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

kitten has bloody stool

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
I just got a white kitten. She is 8.5 weeks. I smelled poop so I looked at her bottom. I wipeed it with paper towel. Well a few minutes later, I smelled it again. This time I wet some tp. She has a bloody butt. Idk if it was from her butt or got bit by a flea there. She also has one eye that's all red and looks weird.. worried about her

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
I would take Her to the Vet ASAP:hug8:

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Agreed with above. Most likely is worms or some type of parasite, which are very common in kittens, but it could also be something else. I would take the baby in ASAP.

chompie_puppy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Yes, please take her to the vet immediately! Kittens don't have a lot of blood and losing even a tiny amount can be fatal.

Could she have eaten something that's poisonous?

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
I been inspecting her poop. The fleas are gone and her but is no longer bleeding so I guess it was a bite. She's doing a lot better. Her eyes are still verrrry red but are less goopy. Gonna take her to the vet next week hopefully.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Vet visit is always best but in the mean time:

If you have GSE (grape fruit seed extract) put 5-6 drops in a cup of water and see that the kitten drinks the water. GSE is outstanding for humans, and pets alike. Do your Googes searches for GSE.

Gary

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Do you have kids? Hook, round and pin worms are easily passed from animals to humans. If you have a dog and the dog licks the cat or eats the turds from the litter box, then the dog is infected. The same is true of pink eye and other eye infections. Not treating the cat right away does open your family up to the possibility of picking up these 'minor' problems from the kitten. Many, many kittens are infested with worms, fleas and other parasites and also come to their first home with conjuntivitis (eye infections). The least you could do for the kitten is get some plain saline eye drops and put drops in her gunky eyes twice a day to rinse the bacteria out of her eyes and make them less sore. Have you ever experienced a sore or dry eye? Wasn't comfortable, was it?

Also, are you sure the blood was from the rectum? It could just as easily been from the urethra or the vagina if it is a female. Please keep an eye on the kitten for further bleeding. If the kitten is passing bright red blood it absolutely needs a vet right away. If she is passing tarry black stools it could be she ate a poisoned mouse. Again needing a vet right away. Hope you enjoy your new kitty.

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
Ok, my kitty is almost done with her med. she had an intestinal infection, a verrrrrry long (i'd guess close to 3 feet) worm and an eye infection. she got meds for everything. her eyes look absolutely beautiful, her poops are more solid and the worm was dead when it came out (3 hours after she had the dewormer). she seemed much heavier 2 days after the worm and much more so now. i wish i could be home with her. my boyfriend has been doing her meds. her last night is tomorrow for both the eye and tummy meds.

sorry for the intermittent posting. i still do not have internet at home. :(

now, as for her brother, which is in my bf's mom's and sis's care, how do i convince them that he needs to go to the vet too?! he has severe diarrhea and if one sibling has worms, the other probobly does too, right? ugh. i worry bout the little guy.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Remind your Mom that worms are contagious as are the types of intestinal infections that cats get. Unless they are washing their hands each and every time they touch the cat or clean the litter, they are in danger of getting ill themselves. It is important they have the kitten treated so THEY do not get sick.

Not to mention for the health and comfort of the poor kitty.

avianantics

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
Another thing to keep in mind with red/gunky eyes -- this can be a symptom of herpes virus in cats and it is EXTREMELY contagious to humans. A trip to the Vet is the best advice I can give.

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
kitty has already been to the vet. it was an infection. she's been treated and doing much better.

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
Do you have kids? Hook, round and pin worms are easily passed from animals to humans. If you have a dog and the dog licks the cat or eats the turds from the litter box, then the dog is infected. The same is true of pink eye and other eye infections. Not treating the cat right away does open your family up to the possibility of picking up these 'minor' problems from the kitten. Many, many kittens are infested with worms, fleas and other parasites and also come to their first home with conjuntivitis (eye infections). The least you could do for the kitten is get some plain saline eye drops and put drops in her gunky eyes twice a day to rinse the bacteria out of her eyes and make them less sore. Have you ever experienced a sore or dry eye? Wasn't comfortable, was it?

Also, are you sure the blood was from the rectum? It could just as easily been from the urethra or the vagina if it is a female. Please keep an eye on the kitten for further bleeding. If the kitten is passing bright red blood it absolutely needs a vet right away. If she is passing tarry black stools it could be she ate a poisoned mouse. Again needing a vet right away. Hope you enjoy your new kitty.
Hookworms and roundworms can be passed from animals to people. Pin worms CANNOT. They are 100% species specific- if a person has pinworms, they caught them from another person. I agree- even if the kitten was healthy appearing, it still probably needs a deworming and definitely needs some vaccines. Eye issues in kittens are common and clear up with some supportive treatment. I like using a warm wet rag to help melt the crusties off and then a cool rag to help soothe the inflammation. Unfortunately, kitty eye infections are usually viral, at least to start with so they can be hard to get rid of with anything other than time and keeping the kitten comfortable. Feline herpes is NOT contagious to people. Like the pinworms, it is species specific. The only herpes virus I know of that is zoonotic (ie, goes from animals to people) is the simian/monkey herpes, and that can be fatal to humans.

Ariahna

Sprinting down the street
Yes, the other kitty needs to be seen. They should go to the same vet you took your kitty to or at least fill the different vet in on what your vet said and the meds that were prescribed. I adopted a kitty from the humane society many years ago with similar symptoms, some of these kitties come from such poor conditions that is why it is so great when they find good homes and get proper vet care and a chance at a long happy life. Best wishes. :hug8:

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
i drove out to the sticks and got her free from a woman in a trashy trailer park. she was soooo infested with fleas, i broke down in tears.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Thank you for rescuing her and giving her a chance at a good life.

My BFF and I just took a mom cat and her two seven week old babies off the street and are getting ready to tame them and find them homes. Rosie, the mom, was gotten as a pet for someone in the neighborhood, but she has lost interest in the cat and isn't even feeding it any more "because she had kittens" and she thinks not feeding the nursing mother will keep her from raising the babies and having more kittens. In a way, she is right, Rosie will not have any more babies if she dies of malnutrition while trying to raise her babies.

Honestly, I HATE people sometimes! So my BFF and I have stolen Rosie and we hope she does not get another queen, but gets a tom instead next time she feels she wants a cat (we nicely suggested this to her). People are stupid!

Thanks for the info, Sharpie. Now I know that pins are specific to humans and feline herpes to cats. No information is useless information. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.