• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Kitten biting during play? would love opinions (+bonus recovery pics :DDD)

PopsDops

Strolling the yard
Real Name
PopsDops
so i got her at 2 months old (at least according to her previous owner, but i think she was older, or she was just huge). she would bite my fingers when playing/petting her and i think i accidently thought her it was okay (oops lol) since i thought it was cute.

but she grew up so fast and now the bites have gone from light love bites to full on bites that lowkey hurt and leave marks. a good thing is that she doesnt use her claws, only teeth.

anyway, how to make her stop this habit cuz i dont want to get hurt when she has big girl fangs.

unrelated, but do your cats start running infront of you when you're walking? mine, whenever im walking around the house, will come runnning right infront of my feet. and i dont mean just running,she legit sprints in front of my legs or between them. this has lead to me accidently kicking her on countless occasions, and me becoming lowkey paranoid whenever im walking.

also, she is sooooooo cute now that she recovered from ringworms. she still has a bit of fur to grow on her nose but i think she came a long way :DD

20201010_013808.jpg 20201010_013754.jpg

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
unrelated, but do your cats start running infront of you when you're walking? mine, whenever im walking around the house, will come runnning right infront of my feet. and i dont mean just running,she legit sprints in front of my legs or between them. this has lead to me accidently kicking her on countless occasions, and me becoming lowkey paranoid whenever im walking.
Yes, and our cat, Bailey, must have been kicked (accidentally of course) hundred of times since we rescued her in February!

she would bite my fingers when playing/petting her and i think i accidently thought her it was okay (oops lol) since i thought it was cute.
Our cat does this too, it is just something they do. With their siblings etc. their play would be rough to develop skills for hunting and fighting.

Maybe you could start using toys in the hope she attacks those instead. Try using toys that make her kick with her hind legs, along with plenty of scrathy toys. To keep you hands away from play. You could use one of those sticks with feathers on (don't know what they are called lol).

Hope this helps,
Ali

Ps. She is very cute.

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Biting is common in kittens and puppies. So is "playful" scratching. Your best option is toys. Lots of toys.

If she goes for your hands, redirect her onto an appropriate toy. Kittens are easy to distract. Soft bites can be simply ignored and redirected, so she learns to attack toys instead of hands. Start early. Be consistent. Kitten teeth are very sharp.

If you get bitten hard, don't ignore the bite ... ignore the fluffball. Disengage from play. Make a high-pitch hurt sound and stop playing completely for a few minutes. Babies have short attention spans, so even five minutes of "no play" is a long time in the mind of the kitten. Enough time to make your point.

Kittens are smart and they love to play. Most of them will learn pretty fast that it is more fun when they play with toys, instead of biting hands ... and exactly how hard they can bite without getting in trouble. :roflmao:

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
My foster kitten plays rough with me too, it's normal. From what I know, the key it to play hands off with toys, and keep hands as cuddle tools. I'm pretty bad at this rule lol. They'll grow out of it for the most part.

GoDucks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie

Your baby feline is beautiful.

She may not have been with her litter for very long because usually it's the siblings that will tell a kitten when she/he is being too rough. They usually let out a painful cry and immediately cease playing with the one that got carried away.

A few methods that worked for me:

1. If you don't want to get a second kitten for her to rough house with than you need to step in that role. With my one male kitten I would play with him for thirty minutes at a time with a fish pole toy or even an old leash I had lying around. The point was to spend some quality time with him and to provide a safe outlet for him to release his pent up energy on.

2. Cats don't like loud noises- you can tell her no in a loud tone or rattle a can of pennies whenever she attempts to bite you.

3. It also might benefit you to get a stuff animal for your cat to hug and practice her bunny kicks on.