• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Kita laid a Soft Flaky Egg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Yes, how is Kita doing?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thinking of you and Kita, and hoping the vet has some good answers and she will be ok.:hug8:

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Hi, you can use Calci-boost or Calci-vet, one is a powder and one a liquid. Add 15ml per quart. The following information is from their site.

Liquid calcium supplement for molting and growing birds. Calcium deficiencies can lead to egg binding, feather plucking, increased nervousness and death. Calciboost provides the needed calcium, Magnesium and D3 in an easily absorbed form.

Application: In water (10-20 mls per litre) or on soft-food 0.1-0.2 mls per 100g bodyweight. Use the lower doses in hard water areas.
Pack sizes: 100ml, 250ml, 500ml, 1 litre, 5 litres.
Active ingredients: Magnesium, Vitamin D3, Calcium.
Shelf-life: Normally 16-18 months.

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I finally got to talk to my AV today and she said all the things everybody here has said.... and said to elimate all the things that might stimulate her, which I learned from here and had already eliminated..... she said to see how things go over the next few days... I will bring her in early for her yearly exam, probably on Tuesday and we are going to do the full blood panel....
The AV said that we need to consider Lupron injections or the ?? superloin implant and wants me to think about these options.... she feels that Kita is a chroinc egg layer and this may be a warning sign that it is starting to have adverse effects on her..... she laid eggs from November to January and then started back May 8....

I'd love to hear opinions on Lupron and the Implant thing????

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Hi, you can use Calci-boost or Calci-vet, one is a powder and one a liquid. Add 15ml per quart. The following information is from their site.
Liquid calcium supplement for molting and growing birds. Calcium deficiencies can lead to egg binding, feather plucking, increased nervousness and death. Calciboost provides the needed calcium, Magnesium and D3 in an easily absorbed form.

Application: In water (10-20 mls per litre) or on soft-food 0.1-0.2 mls per 100g bodyweight. Use the lower doses in hard water areas.
Pack sizes: 100ml, 250ml, 500ml, 1 litre, 5 litres.
Active ingredients: Magnesium, Vitamin D3, Calcium.
Shelf-life: Normally 16-18 months.
Thanks!!! I did end up adding Calciboost to her water....it must not taste too good, she shook and shook her little head, but she has been drinking about her normal amount

jenwren59

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jennifer
dianne - i'm sure you will do fine! i look forward to hearing your next update. big hugs for you, kita and anna.

:hug8::hug8::hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
make sure on the egg binding...if she is only laying two or three cluthes a year, then that is definitely not chronic...lupron is a great alternative..it doesn't always work either..sometimes it works in reverse...but that is just like any medication with any birdie or human...so you should take the chance..nothing, and I do mean nothing works for Sam..

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
make sure on the egg binding...if she is only laying two or three cluthes a year, then that is definitely not chronic...lupron is a great alternative..it doesn't always work either..sometimes it works in reverse...but that is just like any medication with any birdie or human...so you should take the chance..nothing, and I do mean nothing works for Sam..
My AV said that it is a possiblity that nothing will stop her, Kita really has a strong urge to nest and lay eggs, but no urge to care about the eggs once they are here...... I am going to research all I can.....My AV is good about giving me tons of info and letting me choose what to do.....She has a B&G so I always ask what she would do if it were hers..... she is honest!

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Saroj had her tiel Emily on Lupron shots because of egg laying. I am should she could tell you about it :)

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Thanks... I thought I remembered somebody here talking about Lupron but I couldn't remember who it was!

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I have found things about the lupron injections, and I am positive I do not want to go that route and I can't find anything about the implant and birds, but I am betting no on that too....
I am trying to give both of them as many natural and organic foods, etc as possible and the side effects (possible) of this is really scary..... she has only laid about 11 or 12 eggs since November, and only 1 has not been completely normal
... I don't know......I just don't want to do anything that could hurt her in any way!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
she has only laid about 11 or 12 eggs since November, and only 1 has not been completely normal
That just tells you that 12 eggs is about her limit and after that she is running out of building material to make eggs. Get her eating very nutrient dense foods (along with the calcium boost) and make sure she stays as fit as possible.

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
That just tells you that 12 eggs is about her limit and after that she is running out of building material to make eggs. Get her eating very nutrient dense foods (along with the calcium boost) and make sure she stays as fit as possible.

Thank you!!! I really think I can/should work on this more before putting her through these drugs

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I do too Anna...12 eggs is the limite for t his year for sure..that is enough...you know the drill.. 13-14 hours of night,no nesty dark spaces, cut down on warm soft foods etc...

all4stvoyager

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sara
Another thing you can do is get a cuttlebone and break it up over the fresh food or pellets.

I am going through my first seasonal egg laying with my rescued ekkie. One of her eggs was the opposite...seemed like it had two layers of shell and was bumpy...I think it was an overload on calcium maybe. but her next egg was fine.

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I came home from work today to the prettiest little most perfect egg!!!!!!
And a big "hiiiiiiii" in Kita's little Southern drawl!!!

She goes next Friday to have a full physical/ labs. etc.....

Thank you for checking on her Gary!! You are awesome!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.