• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Kisses for birds.

Do you kiss your birds?

• Yes

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • No

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters

Beebleburb

Strolling the yard
SO- on this website the other day I saw an article where an individual was really scared because their bird took a sip from their cup and they had read that mammalian saliva was toxic to birds and that it was going to die. That was not something I had ever heard of before, and some of the comments went as far as to say that it is often a cause of trouble instead of somthing rare, so I started reading up on it. My grandmother lived in Germany in the 1940s and she used to rescue baby injured birds from their family cat multiple times. She would chew food with her mouth and feed it to them. Now I'm certainly not advising this, because nowadays we have these wonderful appliances called blenders, But by what these articles I read all these already sick, injured, and stressed baby birds should have basically KOed on the impact of human saliva. And that is just not the case. She was a very dedicated rescuer and had a large survival margin, and those who died usually did so within the first 48 hours of rescue to their existing injuries.

That aside, there are tons of articles out there about how potentially dangerous saliva can be for birds, but I could not find a single instance of anyone ever reporting a bird having become sick based on this. Some of these articles are real 'scare articles' with big bold headlines about how you're murdering your bird if you give it a kiss. This is called clickbait. The information it contains is likely exaggerated to attract attention. Notice how if you google 'human saliva and parrots' the top result is Birdtricks- the clickbait captains of the parrot community as far as I am concerned, and I know many of you feel the same. Most of the articles that have keywords like 'toxic' in them redirect me to 'wow I won a Walmart gift card!'. Most of the articles that seemed studied and knowledgeable were from forums like our own, which spoke of the gram-negative and positive bacteria. I was able to find a couple of good sources about this- all of which attributed it to direct bloodstream contamination with saliva, most commonly attributed to cats and rabbits.

But I still was not happy. I went and contacted my local avian vet to have a short interview with them. They are Wellesly Exotic Pet Vet and specialize in birds. And she told me that I had absolutely nothing to worry about giving my bird a kiss. While they don't advise kissing any animal because of potential fecal transfer from the animal to you, that the minuscule amount of saliva that got on my bird was not going to do it any harm. She also wanted to know where on earth I had even read that it could be harmful to them and seemed very surprised at the question in general. I brought up the positive and negative bacterias as well, and she said she was aware of this and still would not consider it a concern to the health of the bird.

I'm not saying go out there and french your macaw or something, or spit in their water bowl, but I'm saying, based on what I found, that you're not a murderer if you give them a little smooch on the top of the head, or a bite of something yummy off of your plate.

I would like to reiterate that I came into this search ready to accept whatever answer I found. If it was true that one drop of my saliva was toxic, I was fully prepared to begin protecting my flock from it. I did my best to avoid biases in googling this so I did not add words like TOXIC and DANGEROUS to my searches as that is going to bring up negative results, nor did I add SAFE or HEALTHY. I simply searched 'parrots and human saliva' 'birds and mammalian saliva' 'birds and gram-negative bacteria' and similar terms. If you give out 'hint words' to your search engines, you are going to get results biased towards that result, and I think that might be why this has taken root so much because even I myself am guilty of searching 'Is '?' DANGEROUS for my bird?' Be careful when making searches to avoid telling the advertisers what you would like the answer to be.

I did not write this article to start any arguments. Criticism and opinion is welcome, as long as you put the same time and thought into it as I have written this article. This is merely to soothe the anxiety of everyone who has ever booped a beak or shared a snack. I know my anxiety levels can be out of control when it comes to the health of my bird, and I admit to breaking down into tears when I read that first post about the birds drinking water and commenters saying it could be dangerous because my birds have sipped my water before as well. i'm sharing these results for other people out there who are like me, and always worried sick. Is it possible? yes. Is it probable? From what I understand, and I am not a professional, and from speaking to a professional, I would say it is quite improbable.

My sources- feel free to browse yourself and add additional links

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
My understanding has always been that there's the potential to pass bacteria on to your bird. So, my vet has always said don't kiss your bird's beak. Do I kiss my birds? All the time. But I do try to be cognizant of the potential, however slight, and I definitely don't kiss them when I am sick. But I think you're right this is something that sometimes gets overblown.

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
Human saliva can be toxic, so to be on the safe side I wouldn't kiss my birds.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I've never kissed any of my birds on their beaks but that was because I wanted to keep my lips intact! I kissed my Meyer's on her head.

I've always wondered about this claim as well. I understand that any saliva swap could be bad for either party, but I have always wondered if the risk of death, as is often claimed, was statistically miniscule.

I know we all want to minimize risks to our birds, but I think it's also good to over-scare people about things (if your bird drinks out of your glass before you can catch them) if the risk is very low.

Beebleburb

Strolling the yard
I know we all want to minimize risks to our birds, but I think it's also good to over-scare people about things (if your bird drinks out of your glass before you can catch them) if the risk is very low.
For many people who deal with anxiety its important to not over-scare as it causes a massive deal of stress.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Good research. BTW saliva is not toxic it can be infectious - if it contains pathogenic bacteria or fungi. Our human saliva is well recognized as containing pathogenic microbes - some are Streptococcus (including MRSA), pseudomonas and E. coli. Yes, dry kissing your bird on the top of the head. the cheek or the exterior of the beak carries very little risk with it. I don't recommend you lobber al over them or French kiss your Tweety.

Medical Definition of toxic
(Entry 1 of 2) 1 : containing or being poisonous material especially when capable of causing serious injury or death toxic drugs toxic gas. 2 : of, relating to, or caused by a poison or toxin toxic liver damage. 3a : affected by a poison or toxin.

Toxic | Definition of Toxic by Merriam-Webster

Pathogenic is a medical term that describes viruses, bacteria, and other types of germs that can cause some kind of disease. The flu, various parasites, and athlete's foot fungus are all considered to be pathogenic.

https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/pathogenic#:~:text=Pathogenic%20is%20a%20medical%20term,all%20considered%20to%20be%20pathogenic.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I kiss Cappuccino on her head so much I’m surprised she has any feathers on it.:lol: She loves it and asks for kisses, and I’ll admit, I’m addicted to giving her kisses!:heart:

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I've never kissed any of my birds on their beaks but that was because I wanted to keep my lips intact! I kissed my Meyer's on her head.

I've always wondered about this claim as well. I understand that any saliva swap could be bad for either party, but I have always wondered if the risk of death, as is often claimed, was statistically miniscule.

This is supposed to say "I think it's also good NOT to over-scare people."

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Interesting! I never really considered kissing to be an issue, I knew saliva was infectious but I wouldn't imagine a smooch on the head would be such a danger.

I think many aspects of parrot ownership just require a certain level of common sense.

I'm not saying go out there and french your macaw or something
:coffeescreen:
Although I'm certain anybody foolish to try might receive a rather painful lesson!

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Most of us like our lips unpierced. :rofl:

I can see no real good reason for the bird to be kissed by our lips. It simulates feeding (mouth to beak) & can stimulate mating emotions which could confuse the bird. It could also introduce bacteria. Its our own thought of affection that we do it but getting affectionate with your bird by kissing them could lead them to think of you as a mate. Same as I try not to encourage a bird regurgitating for me. Its not the act but the emotions behind it setting up possible frustrations with a birds emotions that we should not encourage.

Kiss your bird is you want to but it really may be doing more harm than good. Our love should be shown in other ways with birds just like avoiding stroking to back & tail rump area etc. We should avoid anything which encourages being thought of as a mate.

Just my thoughts.

DesertBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've read about this as well, but I decided that it was probably exaggerated. I kiss my birds. I doubt it could cause any health issues as long as I'm not slobbering all over them. lol :rofl:

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
My husband tells me not to give him bird kisses...apparently I make sure my lips are dry and pursed... :bored:

But I do give them hugs and kisses...can't help myself man

madi.jpg

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Elvis is a lip kisser. LOL. I am working on him kissing my cheek instead. He's getting much better at it. Elvis just doesn't kiss once- he will give like 15 kisses in a row, while making the kissing noise. Scooter now also makes the kiss noise but he's a one kiss kinda bird.

DesertBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I admit to being a "kiss my bird" addict....I may have a problem because I can't go without kissing them:heart:
How could you not kiss them? They are just so darn cute!

Aves

Besides my birds not letting me kiss them, I wouldn't kiss birds anyways. I don't want to make birds sick with saliva. I also don't want bird germs on my lips.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Kiwi loves to try to give “kisses” and attempts nibble at my lips so I just direct him to my cheek as best I can without getting bitten by his majesty :lol:

He really likes to nibble fingers, ears, etc.o_O

Maybe he thinks I taste good or something :wacky:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I kiss Burt all the time and he is always asking for more kisses or raspberries lol.
I’m not worried about germs being passed between us as I do not slobber and drool on him and I’m fairly certain he’s cleaner and less germy than the food I buy from the grocery store or takeaway stores- I know exactly where my bird has been and who’s touched him.
As a child I had a budgie that would always want to check your teeth out- we had no idea this behaviour was possibly dangerous to him so we used to let that little bird pick goodness knows what out from between our teeth, that same bird would eat the food off my plate and off my spoon before it got to my mouth. After years of helping himself to the inside of many peoples mouths and their half eaten food and drinks too he never once got sick but it’s good to be aware there is a chance of it happening even if that chance is minuscule.