• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Kip is missing some feathers??

hilarys

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hilary
20210123_125031.jpg

It's just this odd little stripe, like when people take a line out of their eyebrows. It didn't look like this this morning, but just now when I fed him I saw it. He must have done it himself, there's nothing sharp in his brooder. Is this enough to warrant a vet visit or am I being overly nervous?

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think he is fine especially since he isn't weaned and still growing his feathers, but make sure to take him to an avian vet yearly and on a need be basis as well as any other birds!

hilarys

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hilary
I think he is fine especially since he isn't weaned and still growing his feathers, but make sure to take him to an avian vet yearly and on a need be basis as well as any other birds!
Thank you! We just went to the vet a few days ago and he checked out just fine, we'll be going back in a bit to do some diagnostics, didn't want to freak him out too much on the first visit.

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
OMG i feel so dumb I didn't realize you were talking about the line in the feathers I didn't even see it!

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Really? Like is it dangerous?
They're indicators of the bird's state while the feather was forming. High stress, poor diet, illness, etc. If it's just the one, I wouldn't worry too much - can also happen if the blood feather is pinched - but multiple could mean a real problem.

This page talks about them about a third of the way in.