• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

King's Cages website currently spam-ing fake virus notifications

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I went to www.kingscages.com tonight to look at options for a wheel-y cage to take the birds outside (that'll be another thread), but accidentally accepted their request to send me notifications...

1656137151067.png

... which is fine normally for some things, but whatever is happening on King's site at the moment used that channel to send me messages like this...

1656137232161.png

... there's no virus on my PC, but the Delete Viruses button is a phishing link that leads to a site to (allegedly) buy McAfee Antivirus (but it's probably just collecting personal information).

If you accidentally Accept notifications (from any site) and don't want to receive what they're sending, just remove that permission in your browser.

Chrome looks like this (settings > Privacy and security >Site Settings)...

1656137496390.png

... click on the relevant site listing and you'll be able to Reset permissions.

Disclaimer...

People shouldn't click on links like that (the suspicious red Delete Viruses link**), but I have experience in computer security and I ran the experiment in a virtual machine, so there was no risk on my end. I wanted to figure out what was going on so I could email King's Cages the details (which I did).

** If you run your own antivirus scans, that should familiarize you with what your real antivirus software interface looks like, so you'll recognize when something doesn't look right.​

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I've been using this interweb thingy for so long now it's second nature to not accept notifications from any website (much like you).
Glad you posted this, a great piece of advice for our young members.