• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Kimchi safety.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I really didn’t expect to have this problem this morning, but here we are.

I made kimchi a few months back using this recipe from Maangchi. This morning I made myself some kimchi rice for brunch.

I have never had a problem with Isadora trying to take my food before. Not one time - and I’ve eaten around her plenty by now. She just stole a piece of cabbage from my bowl while I was trying to get Tteok off the floor. It was a 1/2” piece. I managed to get some of it back, but she certainly got a mouthful - and seemed to enjoy it because she chased me down for more :meh: of all the foods I eat, kimchi was not something I expected a bird to want.

There are no large chunks of garlic, and she didn’t get any onion pieces or anything - it was just the piece of cabbage with the juice on it.

As it was only a bite, but also knowing how sensitive their systems can be, how concerned should I be about this?

Of all the food in my house, she goes for my kimchi :shifty:

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
I’ve been told a tiny piece of something isn’t necessarily horrible, as long as you watch them which I’m sure you are doing. I found a sliver of sausage from my pizza near their play area. It wasn’t eaten obviously but it was nibbled on and brought over at least. I have no idea where they found that, very random.

Funny, but my birds like kimchi too haha. They are not deterred by the smell at all. They are into everything I’m eating. And we love maangchi recipes! Makes me feel closer to my mom.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I’ve been told a tiny piece of something isn’t necessarily horrible, as long as you watch them which I’m sure you are doing. I found a sliver of sausage from my pizza near their play area. It wasn’t eaten obviously but it was nibbled on and brought over at least. I have no idea where they found that, very random.

Funny, but my birds like kimchi too haha. They are not deterred by the smell at all. They are into everything I’m eating. And we love maangchi recipes! Makes me feel closer to my mom.
She’s acted fine since then. I guess a little active fermentation won’t hurt :roflmao: Gut health and all that hahaha

I only found out via one of those DNA ancestry things a couple of years ago that I’m a ‘quappo’ - quarter Korean. It turned into a whole lot of family drama, because prior to that no one knew. But since then I’ve made it a point to better connect with my newly found heritage - food in particular. I love Maangchi because she just makes it so accessible to anyone. If you’re on Tiktok, there are a load of Korean food people too! It’s been great.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
I wonder if she will eat cabbage then :smuggrin:

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Did she like the kimchi?
Congrats on finding out your a quarter Korean!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I do not have the time or patience this morning to scroll through looking for ingredient list. Sorry. (anyone else noticed you cant just read the recipes anymore... you have to read a whole life story and a heap of other irrelevant stuff just to find the ingredients and recipe instructions now?)

Anything you make with salts, oils, sugars, sauces, and of course certain other foods (onion, garlic etc) should be avoided as much as possible even though a small amount wont be a huge problem it is best not to get into the habit of sharing foods with a little bit of bad stuff, before you know it they are sharing many meals with "just a little bit of bad stuff" and it all adds up pretty fast in a small body. If they only pinch some food like this once every now and then (not daily) I really do not think there is a tonne to worry about.

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Bailey my GCC loves his shredded cabbage, so why not yours too! :roflmao:
and stealing mom’s food is always best!!:rofl: