• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Kevin is constantly trying to eat things that seem much too big to swallow....

Calpurnia

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
Last edited:

Rolanda

Rollerblading along the road
So SWEET!!!!!!!

Jennjenn

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jenn
Oh my goodness! I so much enjoyed those videos. Thank you! What a cool bird. This is the first time I've ever heard a toucan's sound. It's so adorable...so wild. And I had no idea they could be so mellow and tame. Aren't you afraid he'll swallow something he shouldn't or it'll get stuck on the way down? I've never seen a bird sallow whole large bites but I guess it's just easier to swallow whole with that beak. I love kevin!!

Jennjenn

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jenn
Actually I have seen birds swallow whole bites....the wild birds here, doves, pigeons and mynahs.

Calpurnia

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
Oh my goodness! I so much enjoyed those videos. Thank you! What a cool bird. This is the first time I've ever heard a toucan's sound. It's so adorable...so wild. And I had no idea they could be so mellow and tame. Aren't you afraid he'll swallow something he shouldn't or it'll get stuck on the way down? I've never seen a bird sallow whole large bites but I guess it's just easier to swallow whole with that beak. I love kevin!!
Yes at first we were very careful to cut his fruit into small pieces because we thought he would have trouble swallowing anything too large. But then he managed to prove us wrong in the SCARIEST way by swallowing a large foam earplug whole! We were freaking out and halfway to the emergency vet when he just coughed it up all of a sudden like nothing was wrong. :eek: Since then we've noticed he will regurgitate difficult food and "chew" it over and over until it goes down lol.

Last edited:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
So interesting! He's beautiful!

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Loved the videos, Kevin is adorable!! :heart:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I always enjoy seeing videos and photos of Kevin. He is "cool".

Jennjenn

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jenn
Yes at first we were very careful to cut his fruit into small pieces because we thought he would have trouble swallowing anything too large. But then he managed to prove us wrong in the SCARIEST way by swallowing a large foam earplug whole! We were freaking out and halfway to the emergency vet when he just coughed it up all of a sudden like nothing was wrong. :eek: Since then we've noticed he will regurgitate difficult food and "chew" it over and over until it goes down lol.
Regurgitation talent!!!!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Adorable.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Oh man, video for the hubby to watch. He really likes toucans.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I mean, where'd YOU find him?
I was blessed for sure.

As much as he loves watching the toucans, we won't be getting one. He thinks our zons are messy and once I explained what I heard about the eating habits of toucans....

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I loved lose vids! :dance1:

Kevin is so cool :batnana: I think because he's so different from parrots and... That beak! It's incredible! He must have some serious neck muscles! :)

Jennjenn

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jenn
Do you have any videos of kevin taking a bath or shower? Playing?

Calpurnia

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
Do you have any videos of kevin taking a bath or shower? Playing?
If you scroll through this thread you can find a couple more videos of Kevin playing with one of his favorite toys as well as investigating a water bottle :D. He's still very young in both so I'll try to get some more recent ones soon.

Video - Playtime with Baby Kevin | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

I actually can't find my best bath video which is a shame but since he takes one almost every day I figure I should just get another one of those too haha.

There is another one of him post-bath and preening though. In case you were ever wondering how awkward it is trying to preen yourself with a beak that's as long as your whole body :p.

Jennjenn

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jenn
So cute. Funny with the parakeet in the back just watching kevin. So he gets along with the parakeet, huh? Is Kevin's beak softer than a parrots? It looks and sounds like it is.

Calpurnia

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
Yes for some reason he has befriended both of my parrotlets very well. Probably because he and Simon grew up together. You can tell he distinctly recognizes the parrotlets and accepts them as part of his "flock" because he will try and intimidate or attack everyone else, including the budgies. Both Simon and Julian think he's their "boyfriend" and wiggle dance for him all the time. :lol:It's a cute relationship.

His beak feels just like a parrot's! Just a little lighter.

Jennjenn

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jenn
Yes for some reason he has befriended both of my parrotlets very well. Probably because he and Simon grew up together. You can tell he distinctly recognizes the parrotlets and accepts them as part of his "flock" because he will try and intimidate or attack everyone else, including the budgies. Both Simon and Julian think he's their "boyfriend" and wiggle dance for him all the time. :lol:It's a cute relationship.

His beak feels just like a parrot's! Just a little lighter.

Does Simon or Julian get jealous of the other when Kevin is giving the other attention? You should record Simon and Julian dancing!