• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Kerosene lamps???

Safe

• Total voters

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Are kerosene lamps safe to use around birds, and deos anyone know some bird safe methods to keep warm in case anything happens?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Do you mean if you lose electricity, or if you just lose heat?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Kerosene lamps are quite unsafe for birds. First they burn an oil products that isn't highly refined. Just like any flame from oil products they emit terribly dangerous Vocs into the air that do damage to the lungs. Kerosene also emits lots of particles when it burns - just look at how black and sooty a kerosene lamp chimney gets - that goes right into the bird's lungs and never comes out.

I'm somewhat surprised that you would ask this question, bearing in mind how many conversations there have been on candles and many others burning items.

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Kerosene lamps are quite unsafe for birds. First they burn an oil products that isn't highly refined. Just like any flame from oil products they emit terribly dangerous Vocs into the air that do damage to the lungs. Kerosene also emits lots of particles when it burns - just look at how black and sooty a kerosene lamp chimney gets - that goes right into the bird's lungs and never comes out.

I'm somewhat surprised that you would ask this question, bearing in mind how many conversations there have been on candles and many others burning items.
Thank you, I'm was just wondering because my family has a kerosene lamp(we don't use it). And we might have power outages this winter, so my mom suggested that we could use that. I was not completely sure that it was safe, so I asked here. I know that when you burn stuff, it will release what you burned into the air and is never safe to birds. I also saw somewhere here that I could use a lamp of some sort, so that is why I asked.