• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Keeps jumping off my finger trying to fly away

Status
Not open for further replies.

NatureLover

Meeting neighbors
Hello, I am having a little difficulty with Sunny. I get Sunny out of the cage on my finger then Sunny takes off. And since Sunny's wings are clipped (from the store Sunny is from), he falls to the floor and has crash landings. Sunny hit the coffee table today. I think he's okay, he's not showing any signs of being hurt. I'm wondering what has changed since he was new to our home last week to this week. Now he doesn't want to be held or played with. What happened??????????

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Sounds like sonny is a small bird? No matter what the species you are trying to run before you can walk so to speak!
Take some deep breaths and start again. Your bird is as new to you as you are to him. You have to first take time to get to know one another. That way he builds up enough trust to come onto your finger and stay there. Firstly in the cage and just keep your hand still (in the cage, talking and singing to him) Do not even attempt to take him out until he is comfortable with you and has the confidence to stay in a controlled enviroment.
If you keep taking him out and he crashes to the floor, not only are you going to end up with an injured bird, but one who is going to have no confidence in you at all.
It will take time and patience as they say Rome was not built in a day! Good luck to you both. Find out what he likes to eat the best and offer it to him as a treat when he has been good and he knows what is expected of him. You are a lot bigger than him remember and he must be simply terrified. :hug8:

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I would work more with Sunny in and around his cage. People want to step up and go, but for birds, every inch away from the cage is scarier than the last. First hang out with your hand and working with him IN his cage and one you are both comfy with that, graduate to the big step of working Right Next To his cage. Then a few inches away, then a foot, then a couple feet and so on.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you would have him step up, then go through the door of the cage, and then further away, but once he got through the door he'd panic and fly off. He's learned when you interact with him, you're going to take him out of his cage, which scares the bejeebers out of him, so he's learned it's better to avoid the scary experience of being taken away from his cage, panicking and crashing by avoiding you all together. It's now your job to teach him that you're not going to do things to him that scare him and instead will only go as far as he's comfortable with and rebuild that trust.

Status
Not open for further replies.