• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

keeps eating off the floor

animalover

Jogging around the block
about 4 days ago I changed milo's cage floor back to plain paper, it used to be inches of paper bedding because he used to break his nails on the flat surface, when food dropped on it he would go down there and eat it, but that didnt happen alot, now with plain paper base all he does is go on the ground, no matter how many times I clean or remove the food, he will still go there, he has a bowl filled with the same stuff but he prefers to go to the floor, what do I do, is that bad? the floor obv also has poop so I don't want his food getting contaminated.

thanks.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yeah, my budgies would eat off the floor of their cage if they could. Eating of the ground is foraging behavior in birds. Luckily, I have a grate at the bottom of my bird's cage that keeps them from foraging at the bottom and pecking at their own droppings. Is there any way you could place a grate at the bottom of the cage between the birds and the catch tray?

animalover

Jogging around the block
Yeah, my budgies would eat off the floor of their cage if they could. Eating of the ground is foraging behavior in birds. Luckily, I have a grate at the bottom of my bird's cage that keeps them from foraging at the bottom and pecking at their own droppings. Is there any way you could place a grate at the bottom of the cage between the birds and the catch tray?
no unfortunately I tried finding some grates before but couldn't find any good sized ones, I also dont like him walking on grates all the time. thank you for the help!

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
about 4 days ago I changed milo's cage floor back to plain paper, it used to be inches of paper bedding because he used to break his nails on the flat surface, when food dropped on it he would go down there and eat it, but that didnt happen alot, now with plain paper base all he does is go on the ground, no matter how many times I clean or remove the food, he will still go there, he has a bowl filled with the same stuff but he prefers to go to the floor, what do I do, is that bad? the floor obv also has poop so I don't want his food getting contaminated.

thanks.
My cockatiel does the same thing. I think it's fine. Changing the paper daily helps keep it clean.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Since Milo seems to be ill, if you can I would try to find a cage with a grate because it’s more hygienic. Walking on the grate will be fine, and he will probably spend less time on the floor once he has one. You can use a couple platform perches around his cage so he has a flat spot to rest his feet.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Offer him a plate of food in an area of the cage floor that he doesn't poop in
I was going to suggest this, too. If you have a large, flat, platform type of perch, position it so that it can act as an umbrella over the bowl.