• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

keeping things clean

scoobie57

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mark
I am curious if there are any tips and tricks you may have to keep your cage floor as well as the area around the cage clean? it looks something like this picture I attached. Any ideas on how to keep your cockatiel from sitting in the food bowl. I hear many do that.

Attachments

scoobie57

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mark
I also wanted to know where I can get a scale to weigh a cockatiel (still deciding ) but leaning towards a cockatiel.

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
I also wanted to know where I can get a scale to weigh a cockatiel (still deciding ) but leaning towards a cockatiel.
I got one from Kmart it’s just a small kitchen gram scale.

Barbara2

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barb
Amazon has them, that is where I bought mine Not very expensive

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I am curious if there are any tips and tricks you may have to keep your cage floor as well as the area around the cage clean?
Daily sweeping up.
I commented this somewhere on one of your other threads asking this question, there will always be mess no matter what you do. Toys get destroyed and the bits go everywhere, some poops end up on the floor too, and some birds fling food, or carry it to another part of the cage to eat it.
I recommend floor cages (cages on stands) as they are easier to roll out to clean underneath :)

edit, as you are now leaning towards a cockatiel, you iwll have dust falling also, so hoovering daily is the way to go

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
In terms of the seed flinging/feathers, birds will pretty much always make mess. I don't know how effective these "seed catchers" are that are sold online. Plus the cage floor has no chance of staying clean :rolleyes:

To prevent staining of apartment floors with poop you could buy a plastic floor mat. My husband has one to stop paint from going on the floor (he is a figure modeller). I just lay newspaper down under their door perch which is their usual spot.

I also think getting a small handheld vacuum cleaner is a good idea for smaller messes. Plus with tiel dust sometimes you need to clean smaller nooks and crannies.