• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Keeping them off the floor ?

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Currently in a battle of wills with Mojo she flys to the floor i pick her up repeat, this is new and i think very much due to her being hormonal and cavity seeking.

Have blocked off everything she can get under or into. She has all her usual toys,foraging box java trees but nothing has the appeal of the floor. I dont really want them on the floor i feel its just to dangerous.

20220517_130058.jpg

Any hints or tips on how to stop them going on the floor ?
I have no word of a lie picked her up 3 times while typing this.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Ugh that's hard. Ripley was climbing the bar legs to the ground and was walking around like that too. Luckily I was able to block the access to the legs, and since he doesn't really fly, that solved the issue for me.

When Ripley is super into looking for cavities, I give him a box that he can climb into. It's not ideal, obviously, but it plays into what he feels is an immediate need and he stops searching. He chews it for a week or so and then I remove it.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
What a beautiful fid :)

Momof3litt

Sprinting down the street
What does she actually do when she goes on the floor? Is she actually going to dark places or just pecking around? Argo will go down and spend a few minutes looking for crumbs, the budgies will follow him to see if he found anything good, and that's about it. I don't love it (mostly because he is a floor shark and attacks toes!) but it has been fairly self-limiting. If nobody is walking around in that area, I don't pick him up.

This is pretty much once a day at our house. In this case it was a bit of mango my daughter dropped, but there was a lot of excitement recently when the sunflower seeds fell out of the pantry and spilled all over!!
20220509_165049.jpg

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What does she actually do when she goes on the floor? Is she actually going to dark places or just pecking around? Argo will go down and spend a few minutes looking for crumbs, the budgies will follow him to see if he found anything good, and that's about it. I don't love it (mostly because he is a floor shark and attacks toes!) but it has been fairly self-limiting. If nobody is walking around in that area, I don't pick him up.

This is pretty much once a day at our house. In this case it was a bit of mango my daughter dropped, but there was a lot of excitement recently when the sunflower seeds fell out of the pantry and spilled all over!!
View attachment 407592
She is cavity seeking i have blocked everything she was trying to get under/into but she is still trying.
Them being on the floor is to much of a risk so i will discourage as best i can.