• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Keeping one of your hand-raised babies as a pet?

lobster14

Meeting neighbors
Have any breeders here who have hand-raised/fed their baby birds every kept one as a pet? I've been curious what that experience might be like since I would imagine the baby bird would get strongly imprinted on their breeder taking care of them. Does that fare well for keeping them as a pet later?

For additional context, I ask this because I have a mating pair of ringneck doves who will be appropriate age soon to hatch a clutch. The pair themselves, while hand-tamed, are quite aloof of human attention. I'm personally a fan of the "velcro" bird, so I was wondering if raising one of their babies and keeping it (separate cage/room) would make a good companion pet for me. That said, I have seen some reports of this backfiring and the birds becoming too needy on their caretaker.

Can anyone who has done this share what your experience was like and what the relationship with your new pet has been like? I've asked a couple of my bird breeder acquaintances and while they have kept babies, they said they usually integrate them pretty quickly into their giant flock of birds and ultimately lose most, if not all, their connection with the bird, especially once the bird finds a mate.

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
This thread should help
Thread
@macawpower58
A “Velcro” bird is not the relationship you want with your bird. Why? Let’s say you have to re-home the bird. it’s going to be used to having attention 24/7 and probably start plucking.

Last edited:

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Have any breeders here who have hand-raised/fed their baby birds every kept one as a pet? I've been curious what that experience might be like since I would imagine the baby bird would get strongly imprinted on their breeder taking care of them. Does that fare well for keeping them as a pet later?

For additional context, I ask this because I have a mating pair of ringneck doves who will be appropriate age soon to hatch a clutch. The pair themselves, while hand-tamed, are quite aloof of human attention. I'm personally a fan of the "velcro" bird, so I was wondering if raising one of their babies and keeping it (separate cage/room) would make a good companion pet for me. That said, I have seen some reports of this backfiring and the birds becoming too needy on their caretaker.

Can anyone who has done this share what your experience was like and what the relationship with your new pet has been like? I've asked a couple of my bird breeder acquaintances and while they have kept babies, they said they usually integrate them pretty quickly into their giant flock of birds and ultimately lose most, if not all, their connection with the bird, especially once the bird finds a mate.
I have heard a lot not sure how true it is but in nature babies leave their parents to find a mate if you are the parent they may pull away from you to find a mate

a Velcro bird isn’t always healthy for the bird I have a hand raised lovebird I got him when he was 11/2 his owner before hand raised him from 5weeks old and as he hit maturity he become less friendly with his owner and went more to his girlfriend when they spilt he struggled with pico and rehomed him
Pico is a Velcro bird he would be on me 24/7 if I let him I have had to teach him to play with toys etc be independent in his cage
I have two parent raised lovebirds too and they are friendly but they are independent and know they are birds pico doesn’t know he’s a bird thinks he’s human mango and indie are good at recall do tricks it just took longer I am actually prouder of the progress I’ve made with mango and indie as I have earned their trust yes they aren’t overly friendly as pico but then pico doesn’t like head scratches or being snuggled so a lot depends on the bird and how much time and patience you are willing to put in

I hope this doesn’t sound bad it’s not meant to at all it’s personal preferences I think whether you find hand reared better or parent raised I flick between the two for me but I do think for the bird parent raised is better

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I’m not sure how relevant my answer here would be as my experience is lovebirds only. I think asking a person who has bred specifically ringneck doves would give you a better idea. I really don’t know what the dynamics are when raising doves.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
From what I know of Doves, a velcro relationship is just not their style.
I also agree with others who say it's not a thing that you should encourage.
Doves can be wonderful companions, but more on the line of an easy going friend.
Bringing up any bird with a hands on approach can stimulate breeding urges.
These often lead to behavior issues, emotional issues and a confused neurotic bird.

lobster14

Meeting neighbors
Thanks for all the great replies and info. I have a few different birds (and pets in general) and I've always preferred the more attached pets. Perhaps "velcro bird" is the wrong term to use, but I've had single birds and pairs of birds and the single birds always made greater companions. My cockatiel is sitting with me now as I type this and I also have a GCC who is a little funny lovebug and loves to play. Meanwhile, the pairs of birds I've owned have just been more aloof of my attention and tend to stick closely with each other and want little to do with me. I know some people prefer that, but I have lots of time to spend with my birds and I enjoy the closeness and them wanting to interact with me vs another bird/s. With my ringnecks for example, it's my understanding they can be great companions when kept as single birds (kicking myself in the butt for adopting a pair!!!)

Thanks again for the insights and keep it coming. Love all the knowledge and insights shared here - thank you!

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Thanks for all the great replies and info. I have a few different birds (and pets in general) and I've always preferred the more attached pets. Perhaps "velcro bird" is the wrong term to use, but I've had single birds and pairs of birds and the single birds always made greater companions. My cockatiel is sitting with me now as I type this and I also have a GCC who is a little funny lovebug and loves to play. Meanwhile, the pairs of birds I've owned have just been more aloof of my attention and tend to stick closely with each other and want little to do with me. I know some people prefer that, but I have lots of time to spend with my birds and I enjoy the closeness and them wanting to interact with me vs another bird/s. With my ringnecks for example, it's my understanding they can be great companions when kept as single birds (kicking myself in the butt for adopting a pair!!!)

Thanks again for the insights and keep it coming. Love all the knowledge and insights shared here - thank you!
I know what your saying is better when they interact with you do you do tricks recall etc with your birds I have found this helps with bonding keeping certain treats for times with you