• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Keeping nest box warm in winter

Artchi

Moving in
Real Name
Steph
Hello what's the best way to keep a cage and nest box warm during winter. Is a heating pad enough to place under the wooden nest box. I'm expecting cocatiel eggs any day now don't want her babies to get cold when they leave the nest box to eat. With my other bird I used a heating pad but it was not as cold as now.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
As long as you keep the room warm, and offer enough nesting material for the hen, there should be no problems theoretically. There´s always hens that don´t sit on the eggs/chicks enough, but bad sitters eggs don´t tend to hatch.
Line the box with a good two or more inches of aspen shavings then offer shreddable things for the hen to add to the nest.

Artchi

Moving in
Real Name
Steph
Thank you what do you recommend I give her to shred? I have shavings yes it's inside nest box already, the cage is in my bedroom In case of a emergency.

Artchi

Moving in
Real Name
Steph
My one female cockatiel attacked her babies when they were 3 days old. I made a post about this earlier.

Artchi

Moving in
Real Name
Steph