• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Keeping Medications Down

Randi K

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Randi Kreckman
Hi there,

We just lost our Cape Parrot last Thursday to a respiratory infection and the sample is still processing at the lab to tell us exactly what kind. However, we have a Golden Conure who he hasn’t had any new symptoms but the vet has him on sulfatrim (antibiotic) and itrafungol (antifungal) preventatively. He was taking a Baytril first but he was vomiting with Baytril. Last night we got him to take a dose of the two medications without issue but this morning we are back to vomiting or regurgitating repeatedly with the meds. He even starts to bob his head like he might regurgitate on sight of the syringes. Has anyone else had a bird so difficult to medicate? We have a call in with his vet but it’s their off day and I am so uncomfortable waiting for answers I thought I might see what others have experienced or if there are any tips on this.

I appreciate any advice ♥

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, I found I have to medicate then take quickly for a walk around the house to take his mind off it.

I always get meds compounded at a compounding pharmacy so I can get them flavored and they are concentrated so I only have to give a tiny amount.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Also, make sure your bird eats some food before giving it it's medications and extra attention after giving doesn't hurt.

Are you giving him probiotic to replace the intestinal flora the the antibiotic and antifungal are killing off?