• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Keeping macaws with cockatoos?

Sparky

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annerie
Good day all,
I apologize in advance for the very long post. I really need advice please...

I have a couple questions, and hoping to get answers here. Recently I have discovered the risks of keeping macaws and cockatoos in the same household - I never knew how damaging the dust from a cockatoo can be to macaws.
I have one bird room at home which houses a variety of species, including macaws and cockatoos. I have two HEPA air purifiers running but are still finding that the dust builds up over time.

Just to give some background, I use to run a small home based rescue center. New birds always went into quarantine until they got cleared by a vet. Some then went into the birdroom with my own flock until they were rehabilitated and ready to be adopted. I closed my rescue a while back due to time and financial constraints, and adopted out all the birds I could - only my own flock remained.

I have three macaws in the room - a greenwing and two blue and golds. I have a medium sulphur crested cockatoo with them. I have had her since before I got the blue and golds, and with the purifiers her dust has never been a problem. They also spend a lot of time in the aviaries.

The one blue and gold is 4 years old. The first year I had him there was an umbrella cockatoo in the room along with the sulphur crested. He started to get a runny nose every now and then, but it would always clear up in a day or two. Then for a year there was just the sulphur crested and he was fine again. Then for another year I had an umbrella in the room, and for half of that year two umbrellas with the sulphur crested. In the time that both umbrellas was there both blue and golds started struggling with runny noses and wheezing when flying. Initially I assumed it was because they are unfit. The runny nose was always a clear discharge and always passed within a few days.

One umbrella I adopted out and it started getting better. But the one that remained has a hell of a lot of feather dust - despite regular showers. Among others I also had a parrotlet in the room. She almost lost her life a few weeks ago due to severe respiratory illness - the vet suspects that it is because of the dust from the cockatoos. So I moved her and the conure out of the room to the opposite part of the house. The parrotlet is still not fully recovered and we are unsure at this stage if she will ever be.

Ok, so now for my questions. It is very clear that my macaws are allergic to the cockatoos as they get runny noses and slight wheezing from time to time. So for the health of them and the other birds I have arranged for the umbrella cockatoo to stay with a close friend of mine for the time being until I decide what next.

Would it be safe to still have the sulphur crested cockatoo with the macaws given that she doesn't have a lot of feather dust and I now have two purifiers either side of her cage? Two of the macaws are bonded and she is their friend. I call them the evil threesome. Even though she is in her own cage inside while they share a cage, she screams and calls for them if she cannot see them. So splitting them into different parts of the house would be an absolute last resort. The three of them share an aviary when out. Aside from them there's also an eclectus and senegal in the room. The sulphur crested will then be the only dust bird.

Then, could the macaws have permanent damage from their time with the cockatoos, and how would I know that? Both blue and golds got the all clear from the vet - their lungs sound normal and ex rays were clear. So can I then assume that they are ok? The greenwing also got the all clear, but he has never been affected by the cockatoos.

And then my last question.... Is there ever a way in which these birds can be kept together? I am now faced with a extremely difficult decision regarding my umbrella. And I obviously would hate to go there if it is not necessary. Moving her to another part of the house is not an option as the living room houses my parrotlet, conure and my hawk-headed parrot.

I see so many people who successfully house macaws and cockatoos together without any issues. Very little people tend to realize that it can be a problem - I didn't until now. In 20 years of owning parrots this is the first I have heard of it. Is it like a one in a million case where only a few macaws are affected, or does it happen more often than we know and people are just not realizing? Most of the bird people I know are successfully keeping macaws and cockatoos in the same household?

To say I am stressed out is an understatement. I just want to do all I can to ensure the safety of all my fids.

Any and every input on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
We've had a member lose two of her macaws with purifiers running all the time and the birds in separate areas of the house. She had an African grey and lost both birds - considered healthy by the vet - quite suddenly. In my opinion it's a gamble. Like any gamble, some people get lucky, and others don't. Unfortunately the gamble is with a life...not worth it for me personally.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Pulmonary Hypersensitivity Syndrome is cumulative and never improves - it only gets worse over time. PHS is not an every day illness but it is common and happens often although rarely diagnosed until a bird's death. Your African Greys are as big a danger to your macaws and conures and possibly your hawkhead, as your cockatoos. Do not mix Old World Birds with New World Birds - period.

We have had several members of this forum who have lost macaws (and other species) to PHS. Once a few of us who own GW macaws started reviewing deaths of GW macaws that we knew and I'm quite convinced that GWs have particularly sensitive lungs. Both of mine had/have respiratory issues - not from powder down.

You have a big problem and I just hope you can solve it with only the welfare of the birds in mind.

Sparky

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annerie
Thank you, I appreciate the replies.

Ok, yes I am obviously very worried now. I didn't mention the greys as they are completely seperate. They spend much more time in the aviaries than indoors. They bathe almost daily and are completely seperate when inside. Their is no way their dust can get to the rest. There is no shared air flow between them and the rest. And because of them being out a lot we barely see dust from them ourselves. So they should not be a problem, right?

So what you are telling me is leaving the umbrella with my friend is the better option? And then moving the sulphur crested in with the greys away from the rest? Will the greys and sulphur be ok with one another dust wise?

I am not prepared to take any chances with any of my birds, so am prepared to do what I have to to ensure the safety of all.

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
There shouldn't be an issue with the grey being with cockatoos. That would be my vote as long as their is no shared air like you state

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
That should work fine. The only way that dusty birds can effect dusty birds is if the place is dirty and there is no ventilation.Please watch your B&Gs and GW very closely for signs of PHS - there are drugs now that can relieve their discomfort if they have been affected already.

Note I corrected "non-dusty" to "dusty"

Last edited:

Sparky

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annerie
Thank you so much for responding so quickly.

The greys have no shared air with the rest. I will then rather leave the umbrella with my friend - she only has an african grey so won't have the same problem. The sulphur crested I will move in with the greys with additional air purifiers. I keep very clean for myself and the birds, so that is not a problem.

I will definitely keep a VERY close eye on my macaws for the next few weeks to make sure they are ok.

Thanx once again for the replies and helping me keep my birds safe! I appreciate it!