• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Keeping birdie safe during repairs

RebeccaZM

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebecca
Hello everyone!
I have a situation I'm hoping you can advise me on. I need to make a repair to my shower, requiring a waterproofing agent, mortar, and caulking. Unfortunately my bird is in the room right next to the bathroom that needs this work. Even though the products I'm looking at claim to be low VOC, I was planning on moving him down to the first floor to a room on the opposite side of the house. We do have two other empty rooms upstairs but I feel he would be safer downstairs as far away from the bathroom as possible while it ventilates. (Unless moving him to one of these other rooms would be enough? One of them is at the opposite end of the hall, about 15 feet away from the bathroom.) The bathroom has a fan for ventilation and the highs should be in the 70's when we plan to do the repair so we can open some windows.

The other problem is that my cockatiel Obi-Wan is EXTREMELY clingy and I already know this will cause him some anxiety being away from me, since I do most of my work in my room and he is used to being out of his cage all day long. While he is downstairs his outside time will be limited as we have a dog and a cat. Any advice on how I could make this process easier for him? I will of course set aside time to make the downstairs safe for him to come out of his cage for playtime, and spend time with him while he is inside his cage, but is there anything else I can do? I make him foraging toys and I was planning on including a few of those in his cage to keep him busy for part of the day.

Would a few days be long enough to ventilate? I'm hoping to get all low VOC products, so I'm thinking two or three days perhaps? I found another thread where someone mentioned Eco-Bond for the caulking and said they'd had good luck with that.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
In post #4 here Tile? John explains how to create a negative air space to pull the air out of the house. I would move them as far away as possible just to be safe as well!