• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Keeping bird off the TV... it worked!

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
So my quaker, Gus, has plenty of places to land around the house. Stations with toys and treats and everything else a birdie could want. Despite this, he recently began hanging out on the TV. I get the appeal. It's warm on his toes, and it gives him a more central view of the room than some of the other perches (although he has other options that are much higher up). It's also the closest place he can sit to his cage without actually being ON the cage. Then, yesterday, I watched him fly to the TV three times... just to poop and fly away again. I didn't mind the occasional visit in passing, but my TV is NOT your heated toilet seat, Gus.

So I looked around the house to see what might keep him from landing there and discovered.... *drumroll* ... aluminum foil!

I stretched a piece along the top of the TV, molding it so that it gripped the top and leaving a portion sticking up so that if he tries to land on it, it will flop and collapse under his weight, and just generally feel weird enough to make him fly away again.

I haven't gotten to see that happen, because so far, just the sight of the foil, all crumply and shiny and reflecting light in weird ways, has kept him away. Twice he made as if to land there and did an about-face in midair.

He's given me a couple dirty looks from his boing, but overall, the foil method is a success! Whether it will continue to repel him, I don't know, but it doesn't have to work forever. It just has to work long enough for him to develop other habits about where to poop.

This morning I googled to see what solutions others have found for the same problem, and it appears aluminum foil isn't on the radar, so I thought I'd share here in case anyone else is frustrated with the same issue.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Careful with it, once hes used to it, he may chew it,

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
If he lands on it (which is the only way he can get within chewing range), then the experiment will be a bust anyway and the foil will be removed.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Someone lost a caique though the vet tried very hard to remove it surgically from the intestines.