• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Keeping a single parrotlet

Keetie!

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Joanne
I have been researching lots online and of course Avian Ave. Posts regarding parrotlets. I am considering one in the future. I only had single budgies and I do realize that they are more suited for having another budgie to bond with. My question is this: In your experience is it possible to keep just one parrotlet? I plan on a huge flight cage and everything necessary to give him/her the best life. However, the vet expenses for one bird can be huge...let alone two. Thanks for your replies.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If you can spend at least 6 hours a day. Every day. That bird it might be ok. If not then what you will have a solitary lonely bird. They are flock creatures and humans are very poor flock mates.

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
I think you just answered your own question somewhat. Vet expenses for two double. Have money saved before you add to your flock. Many people come on here with a bird that needs to be seen by a vet and say it's too expensive.

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
That is true but you also must be able to have 2 cages and in the worst case senecio be able to handle separate out of cages time in the event they do not get along, being that they can be very territorial at times.

Keetie!

Real Name
Joanne
Thank you all for your replies. I don't have any birds at this time. I guess my time with bird keeping is over.

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
My question is this: In your experience is it possible to keep just one parrotlet?
It is possible, most of us have single parrotlets. Lots of foraging opportunities and activities to keep they occupied in the times that you are not able to keep the outside of the cage. I have 1 parrotlet and we have a great relationship. even though I work from home now I keep a schedule as iff I would be out at work most of the time so this way when the time comes it won't be much of a harsh transition.

Gigibirds

Yes, it is very possible to keep a single parrotlet! I have had Pistache for more than 3 years, and the vet (on yearly check-ups and things) always comments on how beautiful, healthy and happy she looks! If you want to bond with your bird and have it be your little buddy, then a single parrotlet sounds great! It is very possible, and Pistache actually prefers humans to birds! You do need to spend a ton of time with your bird, of course, but you can do it if you want to :) Good luck! :)

Keetie!

Real Name
Joanne
Well...I had Blueberry as a single budgie for five year and 8 months...just the two of us. I know he loved me! I never went on vacation in all that time. I wasn't going to leave him with someone else. So...now I am just taking my time with a possible parrotlet in my future. It has only been, not even two months since his passing.

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
It has only been, not even two months since his passing.
I’m sorry for your loss, best advice is to take your time with your decision. Either way you choose you can’t go wrong.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think you'd give a good home to a parrotlet. All parrots would like a friend, but large parrot owners are much less frequently pressured to get two plus. Size doesn't make a difference to a parrot wanting a conspecific flock member. I don't think we on AA can wander about selectively telling people to get two based on species without being hypocrites.

That said, if you can get two, I wholly endorse it! But you do lose something. Aurelius came to me comfortable with humans. He'd use my hand or arm as a launch pad. Now he won't, because he's copying Winston. On the plus side, Winston has convinced him to eat sprouted seed.

Also, considering vet expenses, especially emergency ones, is a valid reason not to get multiple birds.

Just my 2¢.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I think you'd give a good home to a parrotlet. All parrots would like a friend, but large parrot owners are much less frequently pressured to get two plus. Size doesn't make a difference to a parrot wanting a conspecific flock member. I don't think we on AA can wander about selectively telling people to get two based on species without being hypocrites.

That said, if you can get two, I wholly endorse it! But you do lose something. Aurelius came to me comfortable with humans. He'd use my hand or arm as a launch pad. Now he won't, because he's copying Winston. On the plus side, Winston has convinced him to eat sprouted seed.

Also, considering vet expenses, especially emergency ones, is a valid reason not to get multiple birds.

Just my 2¢.
I agree with all points. Especially about losing something when you get the second one.

My parrotlet Skittles has had 4 other parrotlets around and doesn’t want anything to do with any of them. It could be because he was hand raised and thinks he is human. He has chased a caique a lot (had to quit letting them out together) but aside from that he isn’t interested in birds.

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Im brand new so just offering my recent experience in case it’s helpful.
1. I purchased parrot health insurance for $25 a month and that covers all emergencies plus wellness care with a $100 deductible. If you’re in the US, check it out.
2. I did a ton of research and really thought I was going to get a parrotlet until I spent several weekends visiting a bird store and experienced what they were like and realized they were perfect but not right for me. I got the perfect fit for me, a green cheek conure, instead. I share this just to encourage you to spend time with a parrotlet or any other species you are considering if you haven’t already as the experience may give you information that research can’t.
Im wishing you all the best.

Keetie!

Real Name
Joanne

Just my 2¢.
Thanks so much for your take on the situation. The possible future baby will be hand fed and thus handled often.

Keetie!

Real Name
Joanne
Im brand new so just offering my recent experience in case it’s helpful.
1. I purchased parrot health insurance for $25 a month and that covers all emergencies plus wellness care with a $100 deductible. If you’re in the US, check it out.
2. I did a ton of research and really thought I was going to get a parrotlet until I spent several weekends visiting a bird store and experienced what they were like and realized they were perfect but not right for me. I got the perfect fit for me, a green cheek conure, instead. I share this just to encourage you to spend time with a parrotlet or any other species you are considering if you haven’t already as the experience may give you information that research can’t.
Im wishing you all the best.
Again...wonderful insight and thank you! I have always had budgies. Actually, I never even saw a parrotlet in person. I will always love budgies...however I never seem to have them live longer than six years. I have tried my best with giving them the best life that I could. I guess I just wanted more time with a feathered child!

NBGwen

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gwen
I have been researching lots online and of course Avian Ave. Posts regarding parrotlets. I am considering one in the future. I only had single budgies and I do realize that they are more suited for having another budgie to bond with. My question is this: In your experience is it possible to keep just one parrotlet? I plan on a huge flight cage and everything necessary to give him/her the best life. However, the vet expenses for one bird can be huge...let alone two. Thanks for your replies.
Here's my experience - but warning - it's uncommon and most people here would be opposed to what my budgie and parrotlet do.

Ok - so, I got Pi first. He's a Petsmart budgie. I had two, but Lemondrop died suddenly (way too young) and I knew I didn't want to get another Petsmart budgie. I found Kalypso (my parrotlet) through a local breeder. She was just weaned when I got her. I would make her sleep in a separate cage, but during the day I allowed them to play in the same, very large flight cage. After a few months, I just let them stay together. Pi is EXTREMELY skittish. I have had him for three years now (I saw that questioningly as my memory is terrible) and he is just starting to be more comfortable with my hands. I don't push it. Kalypso loves me, but she ADORES Pi. She will protect him at all cost. I have never had them harm each other and I think if I tried to put them in separate cages, they would be heartbroken. They are completely bonded. This is NOT the norm. I honestly am not sure I it happened - Kalypso was very young and Pi very scared. She "protects" him from me LOL - literally, in the morning will will fly at the door when I wake them up to make sure it's ok. They are always beside each other and always preening each other.

Now, I had some people tell me to separate them asap. I tried, it was bad, I refuse to do it again. That was part of why I stopped coming to the forum for a while as I was made to feel quite horrible for having them together. But it works for THEM and that's what matters.

Whether you get one or not is completely up to you and your heart. Would yours be able to live with your budgie - doubtful, but given the right set of circumstances, they can definitely interact - so long as both end up happy, healthy, and loved. Parrotlets are very much like feisty little dogs! If you know how to train and love them, they are worth it.

Keetie!

Real Name
Joanne
Here's my experience - but warning - it's uncommon and most people here would be opposed to what my budgie and parrotlet do.

Ok - so, I got Pi first. He's a Petsmart budgie. I had two, but Lemondrop died suddenly (way too young) and I knew I didn't want to get another Petsmart budgie. I found Kalypso (my parrotlet) through a local breeder. She was just weaned when I got her. I would make her sleep in a separate cage, but during the day I allowed them to play in the same, very large flight cage. After a few months, I just let them stay together. Pi is EXTREMELY skittish. I have had him for three years now (I saw that questioningly as my memory is terrible) and he is just starting to be more comfortable with my hands. I don't push it. Kalypso loves me, but she ADORES Pi. She will protect him at all cost. I have never had them harm each other and I think if I tried to put them in separate cages, they would be heartbroken. They are completely bonded. This is NOT the norm. I honestly am not sure I it happened - Kalypso was very young and Pi very scared. She "protects" him from me LOL - literally, in the morning will will fly at the door when I wake them up to make sure it's ok. They are always beside each other and always preening each other.

Now, I had some people tell me to separate them asap. I tried, it was bad, I refuse to do it again. That was part of why I stopped coming to the forum for a while as I was made to feel quite horrible for having them together. But it works for THEM and that's what matters.

Whether you get one or not is completely up to you and your heart. Would yours be able to live with your budgie - doubtful, but given the right set of circumstances, they can definitely interact - so long as both end up happy, healthy, and loved. Parrotlets are very much like feisty little dogs! If you know how to train and love them, they are worth it.
Thanks for the wonderful information. Sadly...I don't have a budgie anymore. Blueberry passed away on 04/01/2021 due to an enlarged liver condition. I also would never get a petstore budgie again. That is why I was looking into a different species. I agree with you that every bird is so different. What works in one household doesn't work in another!

NBGwen

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gwen
Oh, I'm so sorry! I'm at work, so skimming as I read, if you posted that, I apologize for missing it. Yes, the petstore budgies are often overbred/inbred/not tame, etc. It hurts my heart when I see them in the little enclosures, but Pi is my third, and I swore never to get another. I do love budgies, but if I ever get one in the future, it will be from a local, reputable breeder.

Keetie!

Real Name
Joanne
Oh, I'm so sorry! I'm at work, so skimming as I read, if you posted that, I apologize for missing it. Yes, the petstore budgies are often overbred/inbred/not tame, etc. It hurts my heart when I see them in the little enclosures, but Pi is my third, and I swore never to get another. I do love budgies, but if I ever get one in the future, it will be from a local, reputable breeder.
BTW...about fifteen years ago I got a female hand fed budgie from a very reputable breeder...her name was Baby...I loved that budgie so much. I lost her at four years old due to chronic egg laying....I wish I could say old age...sadly, not the case. Also...there is very limited avian vet knowledge in my area. So....I am just waiting at this time for another feathered baby to come into my life!