• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Keeping a single bourke’s parakeet?

burb

Checking out the neighborhood
I’m new to keeping birds and have been interested in keeping bourke’s parakeets. I’ve seen a lot of conflicting information on keeping them alone and wanted to know what people who have experience with this think. I’m fine with keeping more than one but I just wanted to know if it’s better to have one or multiple. If they are able to be kept alone how much time would you suggest spending with them everyday?

yellowfeathers

Meeting neighbors
I'm no expert but I have a lone budgie and he's perfectly happy. I think that if you are around outside of working hours and keep them in a room you spend a lot of time in, a lone bird should be ok.
It does however depend on what your budget and level of commitment is. For example, if you're happy to throw some money at it but don't have too much time, you should get two. On the other hand, if you have a smaller budget but more time, you could be better off with one.
It also depends on what you want out of the bird(s). If you want more of a companion that you can train without distraction, you could be better off with one. If however you are not interested in training and only want some company, you could be better off with multiple.
In answer to your final question, as much as you can spare. This is a lot easier if they are kept in a central room with activity.
If you start with one, you can always get a another if need be.

Good luck:thumbsup:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
A solitary bird is a lonely bird. Simply because humans are pitiful replacements for a flock mate unless you can literally spend 24/7/365 in their presence. Which you can't. Birds are "flock" creatures. To deprive them of that is pretty selfish IMO and a great sadness for any bird.

Imagine if you were the only human in a world ruled by animals. No one else like yourself. No one to truly relate to and communicate with. Pretty sad existence.

burb

Checking out the neighborhood
When you put it that way I feel bad for even thinking of only getting one. Would you recommend buying 2 at the same time or buying one first and getting another one a bit later?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If you have the means, I'd definitely recommend two males! No worries about egg laying or chicks!

I do have one bourke right now. *Normal* bourkes are not common in my area and her previous owner actually moved here with her. She only had one which she thought was a male. Quite clearly a hen! Although I have had her for a bit now, there haven't been any more like her in the area in need of a home or for sale... and not interested in going out of my way to find one in another state or several hours away - *yet*.

She's not really alone though as I do have other birds. She lives with two cockatiels in a 32x21x35 flight cages and even picks on one of the tiels!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
When you put it that way I feel bad for even thinking of only getting one. Would you recommend buying 2 at the same time or buying one first and getting another one a bit later?
I don't recommend "buying" any kind of bird. I do recommend that you volunteer at a rescue and get some face to face real experience with birds. There will be a special bird or two there that will "pick you". That is the bird(s) you will have the best and most successful relationship with and the one you should choose. JMHO