• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Keeping a large book collection with a flighted lovebird?

ktluvszoe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Katie
Hi all, I’m wondering how some of you may store your book collections/libraries in homes with fully flighted birds? Would love to see pictures and brand recs!

I have 200+ books in my small bedroom stacked on the floor that need storing in an accessible way, ideally behind a closed door. I need to figure out this situation right now in my parents house but also think about possible solutions for when I move into an apartment later down the line, as this is a problem that will repeat itself.

I really want to fit some kind of shelving and a desk and chair situation in there. I’m willing to replace dresser. For this reason I’m thinking of a tall secretary desk with a glass hutch to serve as a dresser/desk/bookshelf combo. I’m also thinking a gentlemens chest/wardrobe to store the clothes and books, with just a regular desk could work. Lmk what other kinds of furniture could work!

I have about 45-55 inches from the window to bed, depending how far along the wall I push the bed. From the wall holding the books/tv to the bed I only have 32 inches of clearance.

Bird tax pic + books pic included! Thanks 31C68391-EA1C-429F-8203-2FFE1EE95E7D.jpeg 10BC10A5-A686-49E6-A538-0F3DC3FB1602.jpeg 68899192-F62B-4C07-9A50-A1CD56CBA105.jpeg

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
We have some of these in the living room and study

They're relatively shallow so won't fit big box files or oversized books, but fine for pretty much everything else. The doors are heavy so if you do go with these, it is essential to use the mount to attach them to the wall.

ktluvszoe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Katie
Also just wanted to add, incase anyone down the road said something to me: I do watch her while she’s around my books. It’s just exhausting to have to chase her off them and probably only makes them more appealing. I don’t want to play the bad guy and tell her what not to do, when I can just remove the issue.

ktluvszoe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Katie
@tka yes! Billy looks good and works pretty well. They tend to be out of stock near me but I’ve considered them and readily found them used! It’s not a bad idea.
Someone on Reddit just suggested ikea pax wardrobes with a slide out tray as a desk, drawers for clothes, and shelving for the books.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My sister had the same problem with paper eating cats. She has the Ikea Hemnes line & likes it a lot. :)

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I purchased a roll of black window screening. I hang it over the front of my bookcases. Most people do not even notice it when they visit, and it keeps the birds away from the books on the shelves.

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
What about covering the stacks of books with fabric?

ktluvszoe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Katie
My sister had the same problem with paper eating cats. She has the Ikea Hemnes line & likes it a lot. :)
Omg I love this solution! This line seems really great for my needs! Thanks!

ktluvszoe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Katie
I purchased a roll of black window screening. I hang it over the front of my bookcases. Most people do not even notice it when they visit, and it keeps the birds away from the books on the shelves.
Hmm, interesting I’m not sure I can visualize what you mean. Did you build a door frame around the bookshelves to hold the screen? Would you be able to send a pic? Thanks!

ktluvszoe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Katie
What about covering the stacks of books with fabric?
Like draping a table cloth or something over them?? Not a bad temporary idea! Thank you!

I’m hoping to get them shelved because I can’t really use them functionally as is right now. I have to move the tv and equipment and take the pile apart to get to books in the middle or bottom of the stack.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You need a bracket or a small shelf to put on the wall higher up for your TV. Not very secure having it sitting on a book stack.

As for your books, Inside a cabinet/bookshelves with doors is the best way. Like the one Tka listed.
I have a wooden glass cabinet and I have all my valuable paper items in there; family photos, memorial service cards, photo books, resource books. I have a couple of reading books in a drawer in my bedroom.

Tina&Mill

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tianna Schwindel
Oh noes!
I am a book freak as well.

I found that shelves in a closet generally work, but I also have a bookstand right by my bed. If I place the books face up my conure doesnt usually shred them, but sometimes she does. If you get a small bookshelf , or cupboard unit, you can put your TV on that! .

Im planning on getting some bookshelves and doors from Ikea in the future, so I can have a bookshelf/cupboard unit so she cant attack my poor books.

If you have space under your bed, you could try getting an under bed tote and putting them in there, that way they are out of sight out of mind for your bird. You could also try designating a dresser to them, and put them in drawers too!
I know I keep my fabric in a dresser I found for free on the side of the road, and it works perfectly and keeps my bird away from it!

I know I had an old book in Millies cage for the longest time, and she shredded that one instead of mine, but she still comes up and tears the pages of my books when Im reading and shes out of her cage.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Like draping a table cloth or something over them?? Not a bad temporary idea! Thank you!

I’m hoping to get them shelved because I can’t really use them functionally as is right now. I have to move the tv and equipment and take the pile apart to get to books in the middle or bottom of the stack.
No frame. Just anchored at the top and free hanging like a curtain—sort of, lol! I’ll take a picture later and post it.

ktluvszoe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Katie
Oh noes!
I am a book freak as well.

I found that shelves in a closet generally work, but I also have a bookstand right by my bed. If I place the books face up my conure doesnt usually shred them, but sometimes she does. If you get a small bookshelf , or cupboard unit, you can put your TV on that! .

Im planning on getting some bookshelves and doors from Ikea in the future, so I can have a bookshelf/cupboard unit so she cant attack my poor books.

If you have space under your bed, you could try getting an under bed tote and putting them in there, that way they are out of sight out of mind for your bird. You could also try designating a dresser to them, and put them in drawers too!
I know I keep my fabric in a dresser I found for free on the side of the road, and it works perfectly and keeps my bird away from it!

I know I had an old book in Millies cage for the longest time, and she shredded that one instead of mine, but she still comes up and tears the pages of my books when Im reading and shes out of her cage.
I actually had them in my old dresser when I first got my new dresser and was waiting for someone to claim the old one. That worked pretty well but I worried about the damage of the weight. It wouldn’t be terrible though, if it’s a really strong dresser, to get like a wide 6 drawer, and use one side for books and one for clothes, and put a desk on the other side. Would probably be really cheap used too! Thanks!

ktluvszoe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Katie
You need a bracket or a small shelf to put on the wall higher up for your TV. Not very secure having it sitting on a book stack.

As for your books, Inside a cabinet/bookshelves with doors is the best way. Like the one Tka listed.
I have a wooden glass cabinet and I have all my valuable paper items in there; family photos, memorial service cards, photo books, resource books. I have a couple of reading books in a drawer in my bedroom.
Ideally the tv will get wall mounted or put on a very thin console table! Lola is a lovebird weighing in at like .36 grams, she doesn’t even make the tv wobble when she wipes her face all over it or climbs up and down it. While I don’t like the set up, it’s only temporary and I don’t have any reason to believe she can unsteady it, nor do I leave her unsupervised on/around it. I appreciate you looking out for her safety though, thank you!

Yeah I definitely would like to get the books off the ground and into something like that or the hemnes sparkles99 mentioned & the tv secured.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
weighing in at like .36 grams
That´s very very low. I would aim to get her weight up into the 40s at least.
If you struggle getting her to gain weight, talk to your vet :)

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ok, window screening in front of the bookcase. Here is an example of what I’ve done. I’m sure it could be done with more, well, flair, lol!
1AC3D0D2-B7B0-4467-A8D7-8831B612745F.jpeg
B781C912-5F3F-428A-B505-566A3309317B.jpeg
From the front you really don’t notice it. It is obvious when walking past that bookcase. I only do this to the bookcases in rooms where the boys are allowed out. I have easily more than a thousand books in this house.