• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Keel Bone Help!

loveadove

Moving in
Real Name
Anonymiss
I have a tangerine dove and he’s been very healthy for a whole year, but when I was struggling with depression and other factors,
I didn’t notice how sick my bird was...

My vet told me he is malnourished and needs vitamins so I’ve been giving him some Harrison’s, but he only eats like 6 pellets a day (he doesn’t like them), so I give him Vita-sol liquid drops and he drinks plenty of them everyday! He’s been on the vita-sol for maybe 3 days now.

His keel bone is very feel-able and I want to know what else can I do to bring back the fat around his keel bone so it doesn’t feel noticeable pointy?

His weight is about 200 grams/7 oz now, but what can I do to have him rebuild that coverage for his keel bone? Do I just continue giving him vitamins and food and it will come back overtime?

His appetite changed and he stopped eating seeds. The only things he eats now are bread, millet spray, and dried carrot. He LOVES dried carrot. A long time ago he liked dried papaya, I will try to find some tomorrow.

I introduced him to grit today, but I probably fed him like 1/2 teaspoon or less.

Also, I hide Harrison’s pellets in the bread. It’s the ONLY way I can feed him the Harrison’s.

Last edited:

loveadove

Moving in
Real Name
Anonymiss
I have a tangerine dove and he’s been very healthy for a whole year, but when I was struggling with depression and other factors,
I didn’t notice how sick my bird was...

My vet told me he is malnourished and needs vitamins so I’ve been giving him some Harrison’s, but he only eats like 6 pellets a day (he doesn’t like them), so I give him Vita-sol liquid drops and he drinks plenty of them everyday! He’s been on the vita-sol for maybe 3 days now.

His keel bone is very feel-able and I want to know what else can I do to bring back the fat around his keel bone so it doesn’t feel noticeable pointy?

His weight is about 200 grams/7 oz now, but what can I do to have him rebuild that coverage for his keel bone? Do I just continue giving him vitamins and food and it will come back overtime?

His appetite changed and he stopped eating seeds. The only things he eats now are bread, millet spray, and dried carrot. He LOVES dried carrot. A long time ago he liked dried papaya, I will try to find some tomorrow.

I introduced him to grit today, but I probably fed him like 1/2 teaspoon or less.

Also, I hide Harrison’s pellets in the bread. It’s the ONLY way I can feed him the Harrison’s.
i could give him more Harrison’s and white bread if that is the better solution. I was just worried about giving him too much bread... but hiding it in bread is the only way to give him his Harrison’s

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Try Harrison's bread instead. White bread is lacking nutrients and is not really going to contribute to weight gain

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
No GRIT!!!! Did he get a full vet exam, how old is he? Try cornbread, cooked cooled oatmeal or Quinoa, try baby formula from a spoon, scrambled eggs..NO white bread , 7 grain or higher.. can your vet get you some " Emeraide" ? That would need to be tube or spoon fed..Try mashed sweet potatoes, crunched up avi cakes..broccoli florets, did the vet suggest anything to feed him?

loveadove

Moving in
Real Name
Anonymiss
Ok thanks guys!
I tried Harrison’s bread formula, but he was not interested at all. I use wheat bread and put Harrison’s pellets in them. That’s the only way I can feed Harrison’s to him.

I only have him grit that one time,and he’s been to the vet three times already.
He’s a little over a year old.

what is “Emeraide?”