• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Kea parrot

Status
Not open for further replies.

logo89

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Logan
Here are a few pictures I took this summer of the Kea we have at our zoo he was so sweet he just eanted me to give him a scritch so badly and I wanted to give him one too. They are from New Zealand and I believe they are the parrot found in the coldest climate out of any species. I don't think there is anyone breeding them either sadly since they have such great personalities from what I have seen.

Kea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Kea Parrot

Attachments

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Here are a few pictures I took this summer of the Kea we have at our zoo he was so sweet he just eanted me to give him a scritch so badly and I wanted to give him one too. They are from New Zealand and I believe they are the parrot found in the coldest climate out of any species. I don't think there is anyone breeding them either sadly since they have such great personalities from what I have seen.

Kea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Kea Parrot
He is really beautiful!

Vicki

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
oh wow He is gorgeous! He looks sweet :D

Oknuma

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Oknuma
we kiwis love our naughty kea's

i believe their numbers are on the incline again but they really are naughty.
In the wild in farming areas they are known to push their beaks through sheeps wool into their skin and eat their flesh. The farmers hate them.

I still remember when campervanning in the south island seeing flocks of naughty kea's stealing food and other items from the campers :D

Tomsde

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tom Santomartino
The Philadelphia Zoo has a pair, the are semi-nocturnal and the vultures of the parrot world. From what I read was once beleived that the ate baby sheep in New Zealand, and that's why farmers hated and killed them. It actually turned out that they were eating the after birth and would only eat baby sheep that were dead a birth. They are reputed to be mischeivious and very intelligent. The pair I saw at the zoo weren't doing much of anything at the time I was watching them in the mid morning--maybe they had a busy night partying with the Hyacinth Macaws they have there. . .

I think they are both exotic and creepy looking.

TITANIS

Biking along the boulevard
The Philadelphia Zoo has a pair, the are semi-nocturnal and the vultures of the parrot world. From what I read was once beleived that the ate baby sheep in New Zealand, and that's why farmers hated and killed them. It actually turned out that they were eating the after birth and would only eat baby sheep that were dead a birth.
Kea also injure adult sheep in ways that can eventually lead to their deaths. They land on the sheeps' backs, puncture through to get to their fat deposits. This may lead to infections that kill the sheep.

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
oh wow thats pretty ewwww (not ewe) no wonder they are not liked by the farmers.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I wonder if it's because the Kea's can't get enough nutrition from their regular diet?

There are deer who eat the heads of birds because the food that they eat is lacking in nutrition.
Scottish Deer Are Culprits in Bird Killings

Status
Not open for further replies.