• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Katara

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Katara is a beautiful and regal girl with a lot of spunk. At a glance, you would never know she was any different.
DSCF8544.jpg
I rescued Katara and her two buddies, Skylin and Benjamin, from a dirty cage that was not much bigger than an average carrier. I don't know how long she lived there, but I do know it took its toll on her.
Katara's wings can no longer extend fully. The vet thinks this is due to old injuries caused during a night fright. As a result, Katara can't fly. At first she really kept me on my toes as she had been clipped as well, which deprived her of what little gliding she had. The fact that she was weak from malnutrition which made her balance poor didn't help matters. I rigged her cage with ramps and flat perches, and made sure that if she did fall, she would have something soft to fall on.
Now that her flights have all grown back in, she can climb and then "jump" to get from one place to another, so this is what she does now. Her balance has also improved, and I no longer see her tripping and staggering.
Today, she and Skylin live cage-free, mostly hanging out on the climbing net or the top of the finch cage. They've lived with me just three months short of a year, and are both very different birds than when I first brought them home.
It's been a pleasure to watch their confidence grow day by day, moment by moment. I love them both so much. :heart:
2.jpg

LuvMyAlex

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rhonda
She is beautiful. I love the 2nd pic of her snuggled up with her friend. Sounds like you've done a wonderful job helping her. :)

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
thanks for sharing and taking such good care of her :heart::heart:

Jazzysmama

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
They are both soooo precious, love your photos.:heart:

Cinnyluver

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Ana
I saw your website a while ago, when it was first put up. I'm so glad the tiels got rescued! They look SO much happier and healthier. :heart:

CeciliaZ

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I love the second pic and Katara is beautiful!

FreeByrd

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
I love the pattern on her! She's beautiful.... and I am so glad there are people like you in the world. :hug8:

Daisy's Mom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
I love your pictures.. :heart: Your fids looks soo happy.. :) Thank you for taking Katara and her friends in and for providing a wonderful home.. :)

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
What a wonderful little girl :heart:

ShirleyBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Cimber
They look so happy..I think you have done a great job showing them what it means to have a home.:)