• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Kamara's fear of hands and sticks

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Like all greys, Kamara is intelligent to a fault, and today she demonstrated that by letting herself out of her cage and running around the floor like a loon.

I let her waddle around for a while in hopes she'd go back to her cage for bed, but she decided to go to sleep where she stood.

Her current quarantine room isn't a super ideal place for her to be when unsupervised, so I couldn't let her be, but due to her deep-seated hatred and fear of both hands and sticks of any kind, I knew she wouldn't step up for me.

I made a valiant effort, and got nailed for my trouble, but ultimately I was just frightening and upsetting her, so I had to go the quick route and towel her, which she also found absolutely terrifying.

If Kamara is ultimately a more hands-off birds that's fine to me; she's my friend, not a plaything. However, I do want to try to get her to step up, even begrudgingly, for her own sake. I'd hate to have to chase and towel her in a moment of true danger, when time is of the essence.

Does anyone have any advice on how to convince her that hands and sticks aren't the antichrist? Patience is key, of course, but it's the getting started that befuddles me.

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I use treats to lure Louise...almonds, she will do about anything for an almond.

jennluna

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenn
I just went through this with my BTM, Faust. Not because he’s scared of hands or sticks, but because he’s not hand tame. He doesn’t usually give a fig about treats either. Unless it’s something really novel. A new foot toy is usually what I have to resort to. So I usually wait until I want him to go in his cage, grab a new foot toy, catch his eye and wave the foot toy around, then plunk it in his foot toy bowl and wait. He usually goes for it and then I close the cage door after he goes in. I try to do this at random times during the day too, and I don’t alway close the door when he’s in his cage, because I don’t want him to get the idea that being in his cage automatically means he’s going to get locked up. He’s gotten much, much better about going in for bedtime in the last few weeks.

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Pilo always gets a Raspberry if I need him to go to his cage for what ever reason... so he usually flys there and waits for one at different times of the day! We also do not close the doors all the time either so he is very keen to get one and even raps on the cage if your not fast enough! He’s such a ham!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I use something called a buddy perch, it has an acrylic thingie that protects your hand. That is only ONE hand of course - you’d still have to teach step up.

I don’t have advice for you except to giggle at your description of Kamari ‘running around like a loon.’

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge