• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Kamara can finally fly again!

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's been two years, but Mara is finally flying again! I'm over the moon. :starshower:
She was so confused and upset when she had her flights clipped at the humane society. She was obviously used to being able to fly, and she'd been pretty dang good at it while evading the peace officers trying to catch her, so she was constantly trying to take off and then hitting the ground like a rock. Every so often she'd manage to get where she wanted to go, but often beak-first and with a bang. She eventually gave up and I was incredibly worried that her confidence had been shattered, but in the past few months she's been making efforts to fly again. After two years her gorgeous wings are fully feathered and magnificent once more, but I guess lack of practice has made her rusty as she's been crash-landing like a fledgling at every attempt.

But today, the temptation of a fresh new bag of Nutriberries on a table she couldn't climb onto gave her the drive to take off, soar clear across the room, and perform a perfect landing! And not only that, she also flew back to the top of her cage with her prize, again perfectly! I may or may not have been a little teary-eyed.

She seemed a little startled by her own success, but also very pleased with herself. She shook her wings out, puffed out her chest and gleefully ate her Nutriberry. :swoon:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Awwwww

Give her MORE!!!!

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Sweet success, and I totally understand the tears!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Wow... what a great accomplishment for her!!! ( I think I can fly across the room for Hagen Das White Chocolate raspberry Ice Cream!)

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I bet that is a beautiful sight, to see a CAG fly. Paco does not know that he can fly. Right now I'm waiting for his wing feathers to come in.

That leads me to a question. He has only lost his feathers on left wing and not his right. Is it normal for a CAG to lose flight feathers one wing at a time?

I have had him for almost a year and a half and it seems like his feathers are taking forever to grow back in. His tail is back, but not sure if it is completely grown in. He has pin feathers along his shoulder and they are slow growing out too.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
:yah:

How wonderful!!!! I'm so happy for you both!! :bliss:

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Omgosh!!! :happydance::dance4:That brought a tear to my eye!! :cloud9:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
When Lurches wings grew back he'd startle and go straight up in the air then plop down looking like how did that happen!?! Then he started doing panic laps and be panting and have to sleep for a hour afterwards and eventually he got his strength back and started doing better and longer flights. He could maneuver and carry things well too.
I,m sure she's thrilled she can do what she loves again and will get stronger and better at it like she used to be:xflove:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Its a huge celebration when the flight feathers are grown back. I can just imagine what Karma would say about it!

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Yay Kamara! You go girl!:yah::airplane:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I bet that is a beautiful sight, to see a CAG fly. Paco does not know that he can fly. Right now I'm waiting for his wing feathers to come in.

That leads me to a question. He has only lost his feathers on left wing and not his right. Is it normal for a CAG to lose flight feathers one wing at a time?

I have had him for almost a year and a half and it seems like his feathers are taking forever to grow back in. His tail is back, but not sure if it is completely grown in. He has pin feathers along his shoulder and they are slow growing out too.
Molting should be done fairly evenly so I’d be checking into this issue a little more if I were you. They molt evenly so they can still fly and do what they’re supposed to safely.
If Burt only molted feathers from one wing and not the other within a few days I’d be calling the vet. Burt has always dropped the matching feather on the other side of his body within a day or two no matter if it was a wing or a tail feather.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
That’s great news! :cheer: