• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Kalypso laid an egg

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What about a breeder? Is there an experienced one in the area whom you would trust to file his beak? Experienced breeders often do minor things, though I don't know if this would be considered minor or not.

NBGwen

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gwen
Aww you guys ❤ Kalypso laid another egg ❤ That's three so far. She's doing fantastic! 20210609_102159.jpg

On another note, Pi's beak looks so much better this morning! I emailed the vet some pictures of it today and a little video, she doesn't think he needs to be seen. He is acting completely normal, doesn't seem to bother him at all. So relieved. I'm adding a thumbnail of him - it's bruised and you can see where he chipped it off. He won't let me clean his wee face off :facepalm: so that's dried blood, yes, but it has completely dried and will heal up quite well I think.
He's not a happy boy in his photos...he very much dislikes being held.
20210609_070951.jpg

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
That's a lot more beak than I thought he broke! Yikes! Looks painful!

Do give him as much soft foods as he's willing to eat! Sprouts, soaked nuts, vegetables...

No, have not heard of any budgie hybrids.

And she does have a spot to nest! Or else she wouldn't be laying eggs.... the food dish is too large! Or too tall? Changing it out for something different may help discourage eggs in the future.

You could discourage egg laying now, or wait until after she's done sitting. If you do it now or later, doesn't matter, you want to remove anything that is nest like! And that includes the dish!

NBGwen

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gwen
That's a lot more beak than I thought he broke! Yikes! Looks painful!
It's less than I initially thought! There's still beak under the red/bruising. When he chipped it, it peeled back. I'm assume it would have to be painful, but he is acting 100% normal! He's extremely focused on Kalypso, so I'm sure that's part of why he's ignoring the pain (maybe?).

Do give him as much soft foods as he's willing to eat! Sprouts, soaked nuts, vegetables...
Absolutely!!! I wouldn't dream of not doing so or not treating it. Kalypso had injured her beak before, so it's something I'm semi familiar with.

No, have not heard of any budgie hybrids.

And she does have a spot to nest! Or else she wouldn't be laying eggs.... the food dish is too large! Or too tall? Changing it out for something different may help discourage eggs in the future.

You could discourage egg laying now, or wait until after she's done sitting. If you do it now or later, doesn't matter, you want to remove anything that is nest like! And that includes the dish!
It never occurred to me (before this) that the dish would be seen as a nesting spot. I assumed (obviously falsely) that since it's the food source, it wouldn't be seen as a nest. That will be changed, I guarantee.

I'm going to leave her to brood so that she comes out of it naturally and then change the dish. She still has an egg bum and I don't want to risk causing her to be egg bound.

I'm 99.9% sure there is no life in those eggs. They are two very distinct genera, and not compatible from everything I've read. For now, I'm doing my best to treat Pi's beak as best I can without over stressing him more and leaving Kalypso to be the little mother hen.

NBGwen

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gwen
Just to clarify - I regularly make a mash for my birds. This morning's batch is a mix of lentils, split peas, chick peas, pasta, rice, ancient grains, some berries, cauliflower, and squash. All cooked together so it's soft and yummy for them. For Kalypso and Pi I added egg meal.
20210610_130101.jpg

And Kalypso laid another egg
20210610_131941.jpg

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
There is a small chance that the eggs *could* be fertile... but it's a very small chance! :laugh: If they were fertilized, you would just get parrotlets! It has occured in lovebirds and finches. (there's an older thread of a "lovebird and budgie" hybrid - chick is all lovebird!) - parthenogenesis (more commonly seen in reptiles)

I would recommend feeding as much fresh vegetables as possible as well! Food processor or finely chopping up to make it easier to eat! You can add sprouts to this, too! Might be better than mushy food... especially warm mushy food! (mushy food could also increase hormones!)

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
There is a small chance that the eggs *could* be fertile... but it's a very small chance! :laugh: If they were fertilized, you would just get parrotlets! It has occured in lovebirds and finches.
That's so crazy! Also, very strange that it would be ALL one bird....like the mom pulled it off by herself! :roflmao:

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
There is a small chance that the eggs *could* be fertile... but it's a very small chance! :laugh: If they were fertilized, you would just get parrotlets! It has occured in lovebirds and finches. (there's an older thread of a "lovebird and budgie" hybrid - chick is all lovebird!) - parthenogenesis (more commonly seen in reptiles)

I would recommend feeding as much fresh vegetables as possible as well! Food processor or finely chopping up to make it easier to eat! You can add sprouts to this, too! Might be better than mushy food... especially warm mushy food! (mushy food could also increase hormones!)
That is sooo interesting and cool!! Wow!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica

NBGwen

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gwen

That's crazy! My son (he's 7) is convinced they are having babies oh my. That would be so weird and cool all at once. Kalypso is definitely VERY protective of the eggs.

Pi has been eating the seed/pellet mix :facepalm: ‍I'm assuming that means his beak isn't nearly as painful as it looks. The mash is cool, not heated. I tend to use frozen veg and fruit when I make it. It's easier for me that way - I tend to forgot fresh stuff and it ends up going bad (before I had birds). I have repeatedly tried fresh for them, they won't go near it ‍:facepalm: They're like my son - FUSSY!

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Did you not boil the eggs?
It's always a good idea, just in case. The last thing you want is chicks hatching in a food bowl, what a nightmare.

Your son sounds sweet. My partner sees the dummy eggs I put in our cages sometimes and he asks me if I think they're going to hatch :lol: I wish he'd wear his glasses!!

NBGwen

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gwen
Did you not boil the eggs?
It's always a good idea, just in case. The last thing you want is chicks hatching in a food bowl, what a nightmare.
Your son sounds sweet. My partner sees the dummy eggs I put in our cages sometimes and he asks me if I think they're going to hatch :lol: I wish he'd wear his glasses!!
I completely admit - I can't bring myself to boil them :wideyed::arghh: I've spoken with a friend who runs the local SPCA (She's a parront too, lots of experience) and she said I shouldn't worry. I just don't have it in me - even though I know I'm not killing anything, I just can't. Which is weird, I eat chicken eggs, but I can't bring myself to boil these itty bitty wee Kalypso eggs :confused: ugh.

Which is why I am 100% getting the fakes, because I never want to go through this again if I can prevent it. I thought I'd be totally ok with removing and boiling them, or doing what had to be done. I think part of it is my son - I can't lie to him about it, I just don't have it in me. He knows there will not be babies, but even so, it would break my heart to hurt him like that and Kalypso - she's such a good little hen.

As for eggs in the food bowl - I went out and got silos - once she's done brooding, I'm going to remove that bowl and the one that hangs on the cage. I'm sure if she wants to nest, she'll find a way, but I'll remove what I can to prevent it. The only issue is when I feed them mash - it has to go in something with sides, not the silos...

I need more coffee...

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
The only issue is when I feed them mash - it has to go in something with sides, not the silos...
I find ramekins handy. I have little square ones for one person olive portions and I bought like 15 of them so I could use them for the birds veggies and treats :)

Which is weird, I eat chicken eggs, but I can't bring myself to boil these itty bitty wee Kalypso eggs :confused: ugh.
When your birds eggs are first laid, they are just like any chicken egg. If you open them you will see it´s just yolk and white. I don´t know. I´m not sure what to say to help you with that, but if you´re getting dummy eggs, that´s for sure for the best :) It´s too late to boil your eggs this time anyway. You can actually candle the first eggs laid and check, you should get a reading. Some of the more newer eggs might be inconclusive still.

NBGwen

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gwen
I find ramekins handy. I have little square ones for one person olive portions and I bought like 15 of them so I could use them for the birds veggies and treats :)
That's a fantastic idea! I'm honestly hating the silo, but sticking to it for the pellets/seed mix. Every time I fill it, so much spills out :banghead: It's frustrating lol

When your birds eggs are first laid, they are just like any chicken egg. If you open them you will see it´s just yolk and white. I don´t know. I´m not sure what to say to help you with that, but if you´re getting dummy eggs, that´s for sure for the best :) It´s too late to boil your eggs this time anyway. You can actually candle the first eggs laid and check, you should get a reading. Some of the more newer eggs might be inconclusive still.
I did candle them yesterday (I couldn't remember which one was first, and they all look the same right now :/). All I could see was a yolk - no veins or anything, which is why I'm 99.9% sure they are all duds. I'm fine with that. I know, it's super weird being so emotional about boiling them. It's a mental block, I just can't hop over. Looking forward to getting the dummy eggs.

NBGwen

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gwen
So, I didn't get a picture of Pi's beak, but it looks pretty much all healed!

Kalypso seems to have stopped at 5 eggs. She lays on them all the time. When I check, she's so warm on her belly and it's adorable. Then, yesterday, I decided to candle the eggs (there's only yolks, no signs of life). I dropped one :wideyed: I felt so horrible. I have itty bitty yolk all over my fingers. I put the shell back in the bowl. I noticed it was all done this morning. I know not to anthropomorphize, but gawd I felt like I betrayed Kalypso. I feel so much guilt over a dud egg. :o:

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Accidents do happen. I am sure Kalypso will not hold it against you.

I am pleased that Pi is on doing better. :)