• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Kakarikis

carol Kemp

Checking out the neighborhood
Can anyone help with a problem with a new Kakariki? We have just got a new bird to accompany our existing Kak but she seems to have a strange problem. She never vocalises, even if being held, our other bird would squawk her head off when handled. She has short tail feathers and flight feathers so has limited flying ability. Also seems to have poor balance, will sit on a perch OK but seems very clumsy. Eats, drinks and bathes OK, also preens the parts she can reach without having to stand on one foot. Not really sure of her age, suspect she is young. Anyone seen this before?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Mark & Da Boyz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
How old is she?

Riti doesn't like to be held at all but if I do have to hold her she makes no noise at all, just tries to bite is all.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Did she have her nails trimmed before coming home? My conure was clumsy when he first came home because his nails were too short. And he didn't understand perches.

carol Kemp

Thanks for your comments. We do not know her age for sure but suspect she is young. Had Kakarikis for years and every one has been noisy. She has never uttered a sound. Nails were not trimmed but they are about the same length as our other Kak.

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
Riti's nail have been trimmed twice in 1 1/2 years I've had her, she was a baby when I got her. She's a fairly quiet most of the time with just the "Kakariki Giggle" as her loudest song.

If you are worried I'd take her to the vet for a check up.

Last edited:

Alex666

Real Name
Alex
It is possible she has French Moult a trip to your vet could give you a better insight