• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Kakarikis fighting

Georgia010

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Georgia Ashley-Smith
I have a male & female bonded pair of Kakariki’s.
now aged 3 they’ve been bonded since day dot- & up until now they’ve always been fine.
Yesterday the male started really having a go at the female. Today this has ramped up 10 fold- he’s plucked her chest feathers & had her pinned upside down in the bottom of the cage. I intervened at this point and she scrambled up my arm & onto my head where she sat for ages. I put her back in to see whether things had calmed down & within minutes he had bitten her on the leg & drawn blood. I’ve now separated them. He’s going round the cage in circles calling & she’s fast asleep on the stand on the otherside of the room.
Does anyone have any ideas for the sudden turn in the male? He’s always been pretty docile- even in breeding season so I’m at a loss!

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
:bump8:

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I can’t say anything about Kakariki’s specifically with this behavior, but I’ve seen it in dogs. I know with dogs, Occasionally it will happen to such a degree that they have to be kept permanently separate because one has flipped personality and can no longer be around the other. It might end up coming down to that. Maybe try keeping them separate for a few days or a week? And then see how they do?