• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Kakarikis as pets?

galah!

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Pia
Hi guys:)
I was wondering how Kakarikis are as pets? saw one in our local Pet City, he was really friendly and jumped all over me:xflove:
Does anyone know them? they're native to New Zealand, mainly green or yellow and smallish in size.

Thanks,
Pia:laugh:

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
:bump8:

BeeBop

Sprinting down the street
Sorry I've never owned one or seen one for that matter. However.. what makes you interested in these birds instead of others? Have you searched for "the good the bad and the ugly" thread for this species? (though I'm not 100% sure one exists)
I can recommend a species though as you seem to be "shopping" for species.... Budgie! Or budgerigar, if you want to get technical ;) If you don't care about size, these birds are huge personalities in a pocket sized form. Mine just can't not be adorable! :heart:

goosegirl

Meeting neighbors
I took care of one for a couple months once.

They are really funny birds that don't seem to ever stop moving! The noise they make is beyond cute too.

The one I took care of was good with all members of my family including my son who was around 2-3 years old at the time. There weren't any biting issues and she certainly wasn't a fearful bird either. She was very curious and always on the go wanting to explore.

You definitely need a large flight type cage so this type of bird could run around, not to mention plenty of out of cage time as well. I can't see them wanting or being happy with being in a cage for most of the day.

But overall she was a wonderful bird. Not overly cuddly, since she was on the move constantly, but she did love her kisses and cuddles during her more quiet moments.

hellen

Strolling the yard
Real Name
hellen
def agree with the above massage. i do have one and she is a darling, but really really does need loads of out time and space

BirdBro

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Exceedingly active & curious birds - they need a great deal of attention & time outside of their cage. The ones we had in the shop really liked to run around on the ground as well as climb all over (and into) everything. Watch for them getting into trouble.

I remember them as quiet (volume not personality) birds with interesting natural vocalizations. Good eaters.

Very friendly & outgoing. Got along well with the tiels & were normally housed in the group playpen with them. I really liked kakarikis and wanted one quite badly!

Ashy67

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Dave Ashby
I have one and he's brilliant very funny and into everything would definitely recommend.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I know a kakariki in an aviary with mostly budgies, be is the bravest and knows me now. He takes pieces of vegetatie and flowers out of my hand, is pretty Goofy, and overall really curious. He listens to me when I talk to him. Of course, this is not nearly the same as having one in your home, but based on him, I think they are great and beautiful! I would love to care for a couple of them one day!