• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Kakariki

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue! 1.welcome signs.gif

What sort of info are you looking for?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :)

Mark & Da Boyz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
I had a little hen for 3 years but she passed a couple months ago to cancer. What kind of info were you looking for?

Darklotus555

Strolling the yard
Thank you everyone! The one we got is female (DNA certified). She was "hand raised" according to the breeder, but hates us! I've been trying to work with her, but seems stressful on us both. She loves foot toys, and gets along with my tiels and conures. She's very energetic, lol.
I've got her in a huge cage. She looks do small in it, but spends a lot of time jumping around and playing. I read they live to shred paper toys and chew on wood, so I bought her a couple to see if she liked them. No real enthusiasm that I can see.
She mostly likes legos. Lol. She has stepped up, but seems so hyper, she's off flying away again.
Do they like any certain foods? I give my birds chop....spinach, kale, coconut, walnuts, carrot, cabbage, egg, apple, grapes, etc. She's eating well, but haven t figured out a real treat that may help train her.
Anyway, I would love to hear about your birds, experiences, any info would be appreciated.
Btw, dome sites say they are real talkers, some say they don't talk at all. She makes really cute noises! Almost a chatter.. Its so cute!
Thank you again for the welcome and taking your time to help.

BirdWorld

:welave:

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
Welcome to the site.

Taming can be a problem with some Kakarikis, they were brought in as avery birds but because they are so cute we try to make pets of them.Some will work out well and others not so well. Riti my Kakariki who pass away a few months ago to cancer, never was hand tamed no matter how hard I tried and long we worked at it. Best I ever got was a foot up for a treat ot a head scritch in. But she was a blast watch run around and play. and I loved her "Kakariki Giggle" call. I miss her.

Seems like she on a good diet but you might want to easy on the spinach lot of iron there more than bird really needs. Grape have a lot od sugar, last thing you want is a Kakariki on a sugar high! I use shelled Sunflowers and Slivered Almonds for training treats and she learn to take them form my fingers...just watch she leaves the fingers! Riti love spaghetti, no sauce, and wild rice.

Not the ugly, when she's gets hormanial she will start looking for a nesting spot and you will tear your hair out looking for her. Riti got out of the birdroom and I looked for 3 hours for her only to find her, by dumb luck, under the dishwasher! She'd hide anywhere it was dark, behind the washing machine, in the closet, under the bed...and it drove me nuts. and trying to catch her...well let's just say she was fast on her feet...lighting fast!

Oh bathing, make sure your little girl has a "tub" to bathe in, a large water bowl works well. Every Kakariki I've heard love loves to bathe. (see photo)

Good luck with her and we are here if we can be of help.

Soaking_Wet.jpg excuseme.jpg BoxedBird.jpg

Darklotus555

Strolling the yard
Thank you so much for your reply. I'm so sorry to hear about your baby. I'm sure you miss her very much. I have made mine a toy of cupcake holders stuffed with little shreds of paper and she loved it. I bought her two toys and she hasn't really played with either one. She really, really loves foot toys. when I let her out she goes over to the tray I have toy set up on and plays with them all night long while she's out.
I see what you mean about the food I wouldn't want her on a sugar high she is rather hyper.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I would definitely start playing with those toys in front of her. Maybe move the tray to a neutral ground between you and her cage, play for a minute, open up the cage, and see if she'll come to the tray closer to you. Eventually you might be able to engage or even entice her to you.

Darklotus555

Strolling the yard
I put them in her cage today and she played for a long time. She seems very smart and catches on quickly. I love her "chatter" and how cute she is soaking wet, giggle.
Thsts a really good idea, I will give it a try. Thank you

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
They're fascinating and cute little bandits! We all miss mark's little riti so much. I'm looking forward to seeing the antics she gets up to in your house!

emzymayzy

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emma
Thank you everyone! The one we got is female (DNA certified). She was "hand raised" according to the breeder, but hates us! I've been trying to work with her, but seems stressful on us both. She loves foot toys, and gets along with my tiels and conures. She's very energetic, lol.
I've got her in a huge cage. She looks do small in it, but spends a lot of time jumping around and playing. I read they live to shred paper toys and chew on wood, so I bought her a couple to see if she liked them. No real enthusiasm that I can see.
She mostly likes legos. Lol. She has stepped up, but seems so hyper, she's off flying away again.
Do they like any certain foods? I give my birds chop....spinach, kale, coconut, walnuts, carrot, cabbage, egg, apple, grapes, etc. She's eating well, but haven t figured out a real treat that may help train her.
Anyway, I would love to hear about your birds, experiences, any info would be appreciated.
Btw, dome sites say they are real talkers, some say they don't talk at all. She makes really cute noises! Almost a chatter.. Its so cute!
Thank you again for the welcome and taking your time to help.
for the treat finding line up some nuts and seeds usually almonds, pine nuts are high reward and high fatty so only really good behavior for those but also depends if she likes them. but also millet and sunflower seeds. but if they are rewards take them out of her daily diet other wise she wont really appriciate them as a treat coz she has them in the cage all the time. hope that helps.