• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Kakariki Noises

Status
Not open for further replies.

Limits

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chris
Hey, i know this will be answered somewhere but I don't have time to search for it and read up :(

This morning whilst on the phone and out of sight of my two Kakarikis, Male and Female, i heard a constent strange noise, it was a high pitch sort of 'chirp' but really quiet. When i hung up the phone and walked past the cage i saw that it was the female making the noise, however, I have never seen the 2 birds sat next to each other on the main perch, which they were doing, the male was upright, female was crouched down.

Last night, my Fiance said she heard some noise coming from them and said it sounds like they were mating - She said it sounded similar to Cockateils which she had and they mated.

Is she right? Could this be happening?

Do i need to get a nest box to add inside the cage?

Please advise me.

Chris.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I am sorry I have no idea, but that would be cool! They are awesome. Any pics?:)

SDavies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
sounds like the female was in the mating position, they make a funny noise
repetitive short notes

if you didn't plan to breed them- don't
they casually mate

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
What Sdavies said- sounds like they were in mating positions. DO NOT give them a nestbox unless you actually want babies. Many birds will masturbate or mate just because, and they may or may not ever produce viable eggs from it. If you give them a box, however, it gives them a place and motivation to actually raise babies.

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
They might, or they might not... it can be hard to predict just how 'motivated' any given pair is to produce babies. Is there a reason you use a litter rather than just paper? Litters can harbor molds (especially aspergillus) and bacteria, especially as they absorb the moisture from droppings, food and water. There's also a risk of the birds' digestive system getting blocked up if they decide to nibble it.

Limits

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chris
I heard it was bird safe and i dont like paper being at the bottom. Also, Kaks like to forage so i thought it was a brilliant idea. Killed to birds with stone (Figure of speech not literally lol)

SDavies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
unlikely.
don't use cat litter- gross :p
you can give them foraging trays

SDavies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
just newspaper! foraging trays at bottom are changed different things, we use wood shavings (only little) big buttons, toy parts all sorts! and then mix in a few groats to make it interesting :D

Status
Not open for further replies.