• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

kakariki high pitched squeaks

sarahkal

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tinnin
recently, my kakariki has been making very high pitched squeaks and it’s becoming more frequent. they are completely different to the normal sounds he makes and it’s quite worrying. what could this mean?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Is it usually when you are not in the same room as he is? Has he injured himself recently? Has his daily routine changed?

sarahkal

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tinnin
Is it usually when you are not in the same room as he is? Has he injured himself recently? Has his daily routine changed?
it’s usually when we come near him or he sees us, but never when he’s alone. a few months ago he did lose the tip of his toe in an accident but his behaviour has been pretty well so far

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Are we absolutely sure about the gender of this bird? It sounds like you have a female wanting to breed.

sarahkal

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tinnin
i got the kak from a family member who got him from the pet shop. she only had him for 2 days but was unable to look after him. my aunt said that the pet shop told her he was a male kakariki but they didn’t specify the age.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Unfortunately, other than to say that he/she is an adult, it is not possible to determine the bird's age visually. Do he/she have a leg band? They frequently have a year on them.

sarahkal

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tinnin
unfortunately, he doesn’t. but thank you for confirming that he is a full grown adult :)