• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Kakariki first time owner in need of help.

T88

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Teresa
Hi i have a female kakariki just over 5 months old, i have had her for 5 weeks im a first time owner and dont really know much about the breed. I was sold my kakariki buy a pet shop that told me she was tame and had been handled, i dont think this is true as i have spent a lot of hours getting her use to myself and a home setting, she became very confident and chirpy with in a few days and i can now go into her cage without frightening her but cant touch her in any way and she will not take food from me even if i wait for an hour. I have been given her fresh fruit nuts veg greens and anything i know she can have and enjoys she gets, her cage is large with plenty of flight room lots of toys activities and plenty to do, she has millet and seed available 24/7 and fresh food twice a day. Over the last few days she has started to lay on her perch its like a tree branch and she dangles her feet through the gaps and will stay like that for hours if left alone, she isnt engaging with me as much and not responding to food in the same way but she is eating and drinking and she is breathing normal her vent isnt swollen and she has passed a few eggs now, her feathers how ever have gone so scruffy and she is bald in a few places, she started losing feathers about a week ago but now looks patchy and scruffy. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated thanks.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Is she molting? Or losing feathers in patches? Molting can make birds tired. Egg laying can deplete birds of calcium etc. I would take her to a vet to make sure she's not sick, etc. (And welcome to the forum!)

@Mizzely ? @Birdbabe ?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Reactions: T88

Mark & Da Boyz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
Welcome to the madness that is a Kakariki. I've had Miss Riti close to 3 years now and she still will not let me touch her or "Step Up" for me. I did get her to take food from me but it took months. Her favorites ate Slivered Almonds and hulled Sunflower seeds. She loves fresh food, baby kale if cut up and Blackberries are to die for in her book. Pellets are taken as well (I offer Roudybush Minis) along with a good sunflower free seed mix (Safflower Gold).

Riti loves to bathe every chance she gets so make sure to offer a bath bowl to your little girl. Try not to get her in the laying mode, almost killed Riti through egg binding.

Some bird just are not going to be handled no matter what you do. I read that Kakarikis were brought in as aviary birds but we try to make hand pets of them. Enjoy what she offers. WIsh I had more on that.

If she's molting she is going to look ragged no matter what you but as the feathers groe back in she look sweet again.

T88

Real Name
Teresa
Is she molting? Or losing feathers in patches? Molting can make birds tired. Egg laying can deplete birds of calcium etc. I would take her to a vet to make sure she's not sick, etc. (And welcome to the forum!)

@Mizzely ? @Birdbabe ?
Hi an thanks for the reply, yes she is losing a lot of feathers and i did think it was molting but was concerned as she seems so tired, Egg laying has been happening often so far ive removed about 5 eggs the last was about 4 days ago and also when she started to act strange. I dont have a vet set up but am getting that sorted.

T88

Real Name
Teresa
Welcome to the madness that is a Kakariki. I've had Miss Riti close to 3 years now and she still will not let me touch her or "Step Up" for me. I did get her to take food from me but it took months. Her favorites ate Slivered Almonds and hulled Sunflower seeds. She loves fresh food, baby kale if cut up and Blackberries are to die for in her book. Pellets are taken as well (I offer Roudybush Minis) along with a good sunflower free seed mix (Safflower Gold).

Riti loves to bathe every chance she gets so make sure to offer a bath bowl to your little girl. Try not to get her in the laying mode, almost killed Riti through egg binding.

Some bird just are not going to be handled no matter what you do. I read that Kakarikis were brought in as aviary birds but we try to make hand pets of them. Enjoy what she offers. WIsh I had more on that.

If she's molting she is going to look ragged no matter what you but as the feathers groe back in she look sweet again.
Hi and thank you for the reply and the advice. Im not sure how to get her out of egg laying mode any advice would be great.

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
Talk to the vet about shots to stop laying. Remember she's not a chicken and can't lay non stop. I was lucky to get Riti to the vet when I did another daay and it might had been too late. As it was the bill was over $1000.00 and you (I didn't either) need a vet bill like that.

In the meantime cut back on daylight hours (50-50 awake and asleep) don't touch her back, I know that's not likely to happen but... You might need to cut back on fresh foods as well. these might break the laying cycle.

Good Luck
Mark

Reactions: tka

T88

Real Name
Teresa
Talk to the vet about shots to stop laying. Remember she's not a chicken and can't lay non stop. I was lucky to get Riti to the vet when I did another daay and it might had been too late. As it was the bill was over $1000.00 and you (I didn't either) need a vet bill like that.

In the meantime cut back on daylight hours (50-50 awake and asleep) don't touch her back, I know that's not likely to happen but... You might need to cut back on fresh foods as well. these might break the laying cycle.

Good Luck
Mark
Thank you for all the advice its been really helpful, i have my girl luna fully covered at night from 12pm till 10am as i was told they need ten hours of rest (not sure if this is correct tho). Yep no chance of me getting a touch but i will bare that in mind for if i ever get close enough lol. I normally give her two fresh bowls of food a day and the lot gets eaten but she isnt eating as much so i will try to reduce that as well thank you again much appreciated.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You may want to extend the period of darkness. My girl is covered for a full 12 hours (9pm to 9am). I know people with hormonal egg-laying cockatiels have covered their birds for 14 hours of darkness.

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
I would also get to into the avian vet for a well bird. Talk to the vet about egg laying and how to control it.

I will say after Riti's scare with the bound egg she's only laid one more and that was right after. I have been able to keep things just enough "Off" that she's not sure it a good place to lay or not. But she isn't so worried that she won't sit on me and take treats from hand and eat like a little piggy.

Reactions: tka