• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Kai Videos - Encouraging flight and recall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cydney

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cydney
Kai has never been clipped, though he went through a stage where he didn't have flight feathers (let's just say he's a very intense player!). I've worked a lot on target training and recall with him and thought I'd compile them together on a post for anyone interested in starting recall training or trying to get their bird to fly.

The cues:
- Fly/Come on - Fly to my hand
- Go back - Go back to your playstand or cage
- Station - Go to your specific spot on the playstand (the T on top)
- Touch - Go to wherever my finger (or whatever I'm targeting him with) is and touch it with the your beak

The rewards: I vary my rewards a lot when working with him. I think that keeping them varied really helps keep him from getting bored. A random interval schedule helps as well as he never knows when he's getting a snack or when he's getting verbal praise. He works just fine with verbal praise most all of the time but I like to use food and toys as well.
- Food - I use apple or pear slivers usually. I was using a grape for a while but he was taking huge chunks of it :rolleyes:
- Toy - Usually something that makes noise works best
- Verbal praise - I really don't have to give him anything for him to know he did it correctly. Often just telling him "good boy" or "good bird" is all he needs.

Some of his initial training. I'm close to him and he gets rewarded for coming to my hand on cue. At this point I'm close enough for him to simply jump over to my hand. For birds reluctant to hop, start off close enough for them to just step onto your hand. Gradually increase the distance as they get more comfortable with it

This video is a rundown of a lot of his cues. I'm using a ball toy as incentive (though he's really not all that interested in it.. he drops it when I give it to him). I use the 'go back' and 'station' from me in this one

And two quick longer flight clips. The first being from the kitchen down the hall toward me (he much rather be with me or in my room than on the kitchen counter) and the second one from his cage in my room down the hall to me.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
very good information thanks for sharing

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cydney, You have done a great job with Kai. He listens so well. I always enjoy your videos!

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow! Thanks for sharing Cydney. What a little smarty he is.:heart:

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Cydney, You have done a great job with Kai. He listens so well. I always enjoy your videos!
Second this. Great job! :highfive: I can get one of my 'tiels to come to my hand on cue and go back to his cage.. it didn't take long either.. lots of rewards!

Jacob

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Herdis
nice videos, I'm training Jacob to do similar things. We are working with recall and to stay. Also not to fly to my unless I ask him to. It's working, but only because I have been very consistent in returning him to his stand or cage if he flies to me uninvited. I started it right away once he could fly so it never became a habit. Next I'm going to get him to fly back to his cage.

I like how you've made one perch on his playstand a "station".

Status
Not open for further replies.