• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Just tried Seed Sprouting for the first time. Hows this look?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh yes those are sprouted! Next time you can feed them sooner actually. I try to feed when the tails are between 1/4" and 1/2"

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I use Sprout People's small bird seed mix (26 seeds/beans in mix) and feed just when the tails start showing. I make enough for about 5 days and they continue to grow while stored in the fridge.

Lil Bird Sprouts

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I also use the Lil bird mix from Sprout People - and when the sprouts are "overgrown" I place some in a small pot with organic potting mix and let them grow into greens - which my birds also love.

john5677

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I see. Understood. Looks like I can use it after the 2nd rinse. One other question though but

Any good ways in having them eat sprouts, if both my parakeets are normally picky or weary of new foods?

My Vet said that to convert them from dry seeds to pellets, I

- Put pellets in both a high dish, and a small dish. All times, all day

- Put seeds in the morning. then take them out around 12:00-1:00, and offer some vegetables too

- Put the seeds back in their cage around 5:00-6:00

After a few days, they started eating the pellets. And then I discontinued the dry seeds entirely, and they've been on pellets since.

You guys think this same method will work for seed sprouts?

Last edited:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I feed my budgies sprouts when they first wake up, then late morning they get fresh veggies mixed with a cube of defrosted cooked/cooled mash that has whole grains, egg, pellets, veggies (since they won't eat the fresh veggies by itself). In the afternoon they get some birdie bread and then for supper they get a seed and pellet mixture that I often sprinkle crushed almond/walnut on. I also hang fresh veggies in their cage that they sometimes nibble on. I don't leave seeds or pellets in the cage all day because they wouldn't eat anything else if I did.

john5677

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Good news is that my parakeets have been eating the sprouts. Though they still don't seem used to the bigger ones. Like the green ones in the OP.

One thing i need to clarify. After the first rinse and waiting 10-12 hours, I can still feed the sprouts to the parakeets without issue? They'll still get the added nutrients? Usually after the first rinse is when the tails don't seem that long. It's only after the 2nd rinse or 3rd rinse and the waiting, do they get close to being as long as the pictures in the OP

Is it okay to feed them sprouts after the first rinsing, and waiting 10-12 hours?Or should I rinse a 2nd time, and wait 10-12 hours before finally giving it to them?

Another thing I need to clarify. How long can sprouts generally be refrigerated for? Few days? A week? More than that?

Last edited: