• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Just Rescued this Bird help...

Volcomig

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Miguel
Hi fellows,

I just found this little bird alone unable to fly and rescued it today. I would appreciate any help in finding what breed it is as well as what I should do with it. Thanks

Attachments

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Birdbabe @Mizzely @expressmailtome Can any of you identify this bird.

@Volcomig I don't know what bird it is, but it has some of the appearance of one of the corvids. It appears that it's left wing is damaged. Water is as important as food, so make sure there is water available. You can use a container and put a weight in it to try to keep the bird from turning it over. It may be a meat eater, so put a little wet cat food or dog food in the box for it. Cover the box and try to keep it quiet and dark.

Hopefully some of the people who have expertise with wild birds will come along soon.

Welcome to AA.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What area of the world are you in? That will help with identifying who you have there

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It's a pidge, thank you for helping, he will eat seed, scrambled eggs, cooked cooled oatmeal, for now, you can give soaked cat or dog kibble in a pinch, water, water, water..be alert though, alot of rescue wont take pidgies, although some do..sure is a cutie, hope you find somewhere to help.

Volcomig

Real Name
Miguel
Thanks for your replies. I am in Montreal, Canada. When found the bird it was alone and could not fly. Locals told me they tried to feed him the past days but no success. So far it is pretty agitated, but still does not want to eat or drink. I do not mind having him as a pet. Please let me know if I can do anything else... And also how old is he? Thanks

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Its a pidgeon, chances are the parrents are near where you found it. is it safe to return it and see if the parrents come back to feed it?

its a very young one, you can see the “nose thingy’s” are still soft, And it has these yellow “pluche” still that baby pidgeons have.

baby pidgeons are fed some form of milk that the parrents “throw up” which is likely why it wont eat or drink.
either bring it to a rescue, or see what happens if you return it to where you found it. Chances are it will die otherwise.
you can also try soaking some “pidgeon seed” to make it softer. But thats only untill a more permanent solution can be found.

Last edited:

Volcomig

Real Name
Miguel
Its a pidgeon, chances are the parrents are near where you found it. is it safe to return it and see if the parrents come back to feed it?

its a very young one, you can see the “nose thingy’s” are still soft, And it has these yellow “pluche” still that baby pidgeons have.

baby pidgeons are fed some form of milk that the parrents “throw up” which is likely why it wont eat or drink.
either bring it to a rescue, or see what happens if you return it to where you found it. Chances are it will die otherwise.
you can also try soaking some “pidgeon seed” to make it softer. But thats only untill a more permanent solution can be found.
I can always try! I succeeded in having him drink water and a soya milk, egg, and oatmeal mixture. Do you stil think I can save him that way?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
You can try offering the wet food via jam jar method. Get a small jar, put the food inside, cover the top with a plastic glove and poke a hole in. The pigeon will put his beak in the hole to eat...
bottle2.jpg

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
I can always try! I succeeded in having him drink water and a soya milk, egg, and oatmeal mixture. Do you stil think I can save him that way?
I have my own thoughts about that..

I hope, for the bird’s sake, you will be lucky enough to help it to adulthood.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I have my own thoughts about that..
If you see a problem with the foods being offered, or know a better food, please do elaborate.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Birdbabe posted good food for it. Glad you helped him eat. :)

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Glad you got the little one to eat, I was thinking of maybe softened pellets to had to the mix, not sure about the soya milk,,keep eating little one!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
How are you getting on @Volcomig ? Hope the little one is well :)

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
If you see a problem with the foods being offered, or know a better food, please do elaborate.
he shouldn’t try. Its as simple as that. But in any case, for whatever reason my post was modded, so i’m done here. Good luck.

Reactions: Ali