• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Just noticed the girls have open leg bands

Nimbus

Meeting neighbors
Pippin stepped up onto my hand for some seeds a while ago (really excited she trusted me enough to eat from my hand), and I noticed her leg band is open, and not a closed breeder one like I originally thought.
Upon further investigation, I discovered that Sammi’s band is also open.

Being totally new to this, I have a few questions.
1) Do open leg bands always mean the bird was imported, or can breeder bands be open as well?
2) Is there a way to track the origins/age/gender of the bird through the band?
3) I’m planning to take them to the vet as soon as I can, should I get the bands removed? I’m worried they could catch on something.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Do open leg bands always mean the bird was imported, or can breeder bands be open as well?
Breeder bands can be open as well. They are used when the bird is fully grown but want to band him/her.

should I get the bands removed? I’m worried they could catch on something.
I would remove them :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Being totally new to this, I have a few questions.
1) Do open leg bands always mean the bird was imported, or can breeder bands be open as well?
2) Is there a way to track the origins/age/gender of the bird through the band?
3) I’m planning to take them to the vet as soon as I can, should I get the bands removed? I’m worried they could catch on something.
Breeders frequently use open bands on budgies as they are usually not able to open them. Some breeders will put their aviary initials and the year that the bird hatched on the bands, however not all do. Taking the band off is a personal decision, however if you decide to do so, check with your local laws as some places require that birds are banded.