• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Just Molting?

Dorcas George

Rollerblading along the road
Lots of little feathers around last week. I assumed it was Frost going into his first molt. But he looks about the same. I think it is probably Packer feathers. But, while there’s a lot of feathers, it seems odd for P to be molting again this soon. He had his first molt about the time I lost Breeze. Maybe this happens more often than I thought? He’s acting about the same but looking a bit faded and bedraggled. Here is a pic from this morning. 206FFB61-2F56-403B-AB09-B3055A3DC5B3.jpeg

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
hmmm, I assumed Tweetie was going through her first molt and I expected a huge amount of feathers but that hasn't happened yet. I am seeing more tiny feathers and she's lost about 4 flight feathers on her right side. She's looking ok, not scruffy. I'm not sure what to expect. I think I read somewhere that they can molt for 2 months.

Attachments

Dorcas George

An I misspelling molt? Lo! Or is moult
the British and Canadian version and molt the American version? Like colour and co!or? And different subject. Two birds in email room with cage open. Packer just sits very close to Frost looking protective and chittering. Finally today he came out and flew a little. Frost eventually came out too and fluttered to the floor. Packer just flew around near him. Eventually P. went to the cage and hopped in and called loudly. After a while I got F perched on a ladder and moved him. He sat on the roof bobbing and twittering a long time, facing the wrong way. Packer came out to the roof and back in several times. Frost didn't seem unhappy, just a little confused. Eventually the ladder and millet got him back inside. But I really think P was doing his best to guide him. I to!d him he was a good bird for trying. Hee hee.

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I assumed it was Frost going into his first molt. But he looks about the same. I think it is probably Packer feathers.
Surely the feathers tell you which bird they came from? You have a yellow/green bird and a blue/white one

Dorcas George

Surely the feathers tell you which bird they came from? You have a yellow/green bird and a blue/white one
Feathers look white, another reason I thought it was Frost. Then I saw a few with a bit of yellow or green, but not much. I started thinking that it must be Packer. Seemed a little odd so maybe it is a bit of both birds. But Packer looks faded in spots, you can see in the picture, and Frost remains very fluffy.

Last edited:

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Gee, it seems I look up more often and not and see one of mine moulting AND molting again so soon!
I believe Fergus is molting again, as he doesn't seem to want to have flytime out of the cage as often, and he seems a bit disoriented when he does fly at times. Also, he is grumpier. I actually saw him LUNGE at Fiona the other day, which is quite unusual for him, as Fiona is usually the "lunger" of the two... (would that make Fergus the "lungee?" LOL!

I have said before, my parents should never have had Encyclopaedia Brittanica on the bookshelves for us kids, as I don't even notice the differences in molting, or moulting.....

My made up sentence here:
Just because of the different colouring in budgies, it does not affect their behaviour, or the time of their moults.
:rofl: Gosh that was fun! :loveshower:

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Gee, it seems I look up more often and not and see one of mine moulting AND molting again so soon!
I believe Fergus is molting again, as he doesn't seem to want to have flytime out of the cage as often, and he seems a bit disoriented when he does fly at times. Also, he is grumpier. I actually saw him LUNGE at Fiona the other day, which is quite unusual for him, as Fiona is usually the "lunger" of the two... (would that make Fergus the "lungee?" LOL!

I have said before, my parents should never have had Encyclopaedia Brittanica on the bookshelves for us kids, as I don't even notice the differences in molting, or moulting.....

My made up sentence here:
Just because of the different colouring in budgies, it does not affect their behaviour, or the time of their moults.
:rofl: Gosh that was fun! :loveshower:
Can I just add something... "Just because of the different colouring in budgies, it does not affect the neighbourhoods in which they live, their behaviour, or the time of their moults." XD :lol:

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Can I just add something... "Just because of the different colouring in budgies, it does not affect the neighbourhoods in which they live, their behaviour, or the time of their moults." XD :lol:
LOL! TRUE - I forgot those neighbourhoods!!! :D

***or their favourite foods ;)
LOVE IT!

Dorcas George

:spinlol::laugh-bounce: So do you think this moulting is just the prologue to molts every other month? I hope it is not the prolog to Frost doing the same. I do think it must be Packer, white feathers or not. Frost still has fuzzy little head stripes. Packer just looks a bit pathetic and I didn’t know a moult could happen so frequently. I hope that’s all it is.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Well isn't 'budgerigar' aboriginal for 'good eating'?
Just saying........

I'll get my coat
You had me going there on the 'good eating'!

Til I googled... The Meaning of the Word Budgerigar. Budgie is a shortened form of Budgerigar, from the native Australian name Betcherrygah. The betcherry bit means 'good', and gah means 'parakeet'.

It doesn't say 'good parakeet WITH flavour' ya know! ::: insert laughing icon, but I can't use it cuz it's greyed out for some reason... hope that solution appears soon, I LOVE my emoticons! ::::