• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Just Molting?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
You had me going there on the 'good eating'!

Til I googled... The Meaning of the Word Budgerigar. Budgie is a shortened form of Budgerigar, from the native Australian name Betcherrygah. The betcherry bit means 'good', and gah means 'parakeet'.

It doesn't say 'good parakeet WITH flavour' ya know! ::: insert laughing icon, but I can't use it cuz it's greyed out for some reason... hope that solution appears soon, I LOVE my emoticons! ::::
There's many different dialects within Australia. Depending where you look there's many different translations, like 'yellow head' and 'good eating'. So we're both correct.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly

Dorcas George

Rollerblading along the road
Okay. And now, looking at Frost 's cute little head, I am wondering if both were molting. It seems,that his little grey head stripes ( "hoops") are sort of tiny smudges. Perhaps just in the process of disappearing, but I thought budgies always ended up with solid color on top of their heads. Am I mistaken? Couldn't get a picture. Frost was a very busy, hopping, noisy guy today.

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
Okay. And now, looking at Frost 's cute little head, I am wondering if both were molting. It seems,that his little grey head stripes ( "hoops") are sort of tiny smudges. Perhaps just in the process of disappearing, but I thought budgies always ended up with solid color on top of their heads. Am I mistaken? Couldn't get a picture. Frost was a very busy, hopping, noisy guy today.
Yes normally they lose the barring on their forehead and it turns to a solid shade. You will notice the pin feathers coming in there though. This is usually experienced at about 4 months.

Dorcas George

I am guessing about Frost’s age but think about 4 months. Not seeing new feathers coming in but am seeing less and less grey on head so must be. Grey only on top, not really forehead. I guess time will tell. :)

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
I am guessing about Frost’s age but think about 4 months. Not seeing new feathers coming in but am seeing less and less grey on head so must be. Grey only on top, not really forehead. I guess time will tell. :)
Sam's pin feathers were very obvious. She was wet in this photo as she just had a bath but her pin feathers actually looked painful. According to the date of the photo she was just going on 4 months. IMG_20190712_114548.jpg

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
Tweetie is also going through her first molt. There are no pin feathers on her head - lots of down type feathers floating around and she's lost 6 wing feathers so far. Poor Sam looks unhappy.

Dorcas George

Tweetie is also going through her first molt. There are no pin feathers on her head - lots of down type feathers floating around and she's lost 6 wing feathers so far. Poor Sam looks unhappy.
I don’t know if Frost is really molting much or not. How is Tweety doing with taming and food? Not much change with taming here but they sure went for those hanging carrot greens.

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
Thanks for asking @Dorcas George Tweetie is slow to tame. I've had both her feet on my finger a couple of times and she regularly puts one foot on my finger to get the millet. She no longer moves away when I put my hand near her to get food cups, etc but does move aside when I touch her feet or belly to step up. She still won't eat any fresh food but I put some in everyday. I think starting today I'll only put in broccolini so maybe she'll get used to seeing it and get curious.

Dorcas George

Well, it did take months for the breakthrough. That’s why it is exciting! I wish we could explain how much nicer life will be when they cooperate a little!