• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Just hatched 3 baby Scarlets Macaws!!

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Been busy last couple days but some pictures of progress from 9-17-18/2022 and also todays pic.

All three have the eyes full opened.

Oldest has the most pin feathers coming in with a the reddest crown feathers.

Oh wow, the grow fast and change so much day to say
I’m absolutely in love

MacawBegin

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Louis
9/30/2022

Wow time flies. Got sick around 10 days ago and barley been feeling better and had my family help take care of the baby macaws. How much they have grown and changed since last update!

They are 37, 40, and 43 days old.

Also next clutch of eggs are starting to hatch. First egg hatched yesterday and its currently day 2. Second egg of the clutch has been moved to the higher humidity chamber with no rotation and the baby macaw is starting to break the egg. Should be hatching either midnight or early tomorrow on 10/1/2022

Attachments

Somebirdie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Aren’t they beauties!

I think the grand transformation of strange bald creature with a giant beak is a huge part of the beauty of parrots lol

MacawBegin

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Louis
10/26/22 updated.
Pictures I took last week and also today.
First clutch of babies are basically fully feathered. The second oldest has a unique head color with yellow/golden hues to it, very beautiful! They are around 60-70 days old and are currently weaning off formula.

Second clutch is around 20-30 days and barley starting to get its downy and regular feathers.

Third clutch has one egg laid on 10/24/2022. Hopefully we get another clutch of 3 or more eggs

Attachments

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
10/26/22 updated.
Pictures I took last week and also today.
First clutch of babies are basically fully feathered. The second oldest has a unique head color with yellow/golden hues to it, very beautiful! They are around 60-70 days old and are currently weaning off formula.

Second clutch is around 20-30 days and barley starting to get its downy and regular feathers.

Third clutch has one egg laid on 10/24/2022. Hopefully we get another clutch of 3 or more eggs
Ooh my gosh! Perfect little rainbow dino babies :heart:

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Adorable Babies :heart: Just wanted to add that you should try to limit clutches to only 2 a year

MacawBegin

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Louis
Adorable Babies :heart: Just wanted to add that you should try to limit clutches to only 2 a year
Thank you so much!

Yeah we were worried about the parents laying multiple clutches and consulted a avian doctor and he said that if the mother bird is well fed and nutrient-rich, the amount of clutches ultimately doesn’t matter too much as long as there aren’t any signs of malnutrition in the mother or in the eggs/babies.

But we are aware of the fact and after this clutch, we are removing the nest box and allowing 2-3 clutches a year. Have no idea why the parents are breeding like mad and had 3 clutches in 5 months time

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I know you want to give one away :arghh: Lol.

I’m so in love with them. They’re so gorgeous.

MacawBegin

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Louis
I know you want to give one away :arghh: Lol.

I’m so in love with them. They’re so gorgeous.
Haha. we will definitely be looking at that option soon. got a huge family of macaws

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Haha. we will definitely be looking at that option soon. got a huge family of macaws
Haha keep me in mind! I’ll drive my butt across the country for that :roflmao:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Haha keep me in mind! I’ll drive my butt across the country for that :roflmao:
Wow you are keen lmao! Was Tteok your first ever bird?

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Wow you are keen lmao! Was Tteok your first ever bird?
Haha I definitely don’t expect to get a free macaw, but one can dream!

Technically no, just my first pet bird as an adult. I have years of having pet sit, vet clinic work, rescue, and helping to rehab birds (both ‘domesticated’ and wild).

Don’t worry - Im not going to overdo it :roflmao:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Haha I definitely don’t expect to get a free macaw, but one can dream!

Technically no, just my first pet bird as an adult. I have years of having pet sit, vet clinic work, rescue, and helping to rehab birds (both ‘domesticated’ and wild).

Don’t worry - Im not going to overdo it :roflmao:
Just checking you have not been bitten by the MBS so many of us constantly fight lol.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Just checking you have not been bitten by the MBS so many of us constantly fight lol.
Ha! I’ve got the bug, definitely - But I think I’ve narrowed it down to only three species for my next bird and then I’m done. Macaw, IRN, or cockatoo. Any of those for my next bird, and that’s it for me lmao.

Gotta set limits on myself :laugh:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Ha! I’ve got the bug, definitely - But I think I’ve narrowed it down to only three species for my next bird and then I’m done. Macaw, IRN, or cockatoo. Any of those for my next bird, and that’s it for me lmao.

Gotta set limits on myself :laugh:
I'd personally pass on the macaw with already having a tiel but a too might fit in well lol.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I'd personally pass on the macaw with already having a tiel but a too might fit in well lol.
Now you got me curious. Why not a macaw with a tiel?

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Now you got me curious. Why not a macaw with a tiel?
The dust issue. Macaws are extremely susceptible to having respiratory issues from the dust of Tiels,Toos and African Greys especially. They aren't the only species Conures can also be effected among others but they are the most common species. I can't link easily on my phone sorry but look up the user Holiday and her poor sweet Macaws Zoe and Elvis and how adopting her African Grey Keene unfortunately contributed to their deaths years later. There are also several other threads besides hers. It's a very real and deadly risk of mixing old world and new world species unfortunately and shouldn't be taken lightly :(
I believe it's called Macaw Pulmonary Hypersensitivity

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
The dust issue. Macaws are extremely susceptible to having respiratory issues from the dust of Tiels,Toos and African Greys especially. They aren't the only species Conures can also be effected among others but they are the most common species. I can't link easily on my phone sorry but look up the user Holiday and her poor sweet Macaws Zoe and Elvis and how adopting her African Grey Keene unfortunately contributed to their deaths years later. There are also several other threads besides hers. It's a very real and deadly risk of mixing old world and new world species unfortunately and shouldn't be taken lightly :(
Oh wow! In everything I’ve read, I’d never come across that - that’s wild to know. Even with a good air filter?

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh wow! In everything I’ve read, I’d never come across that - that’s wild to know. Even with a good air filter?
Sadly yes. I believe Holiday had at least 2 next to Keenes cage and she may have even been in a separate room or at least as far away as possible and it still in the end didn't make a difference sadly. It was a very dark day on AA when Zoe was lost and then to hear that years later Elvis succumbed to the same disease even though Holiday rehomed Keene ASAP was doubly cruel.

Reactions: tka

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Sadly yes. I believe Holiday had at least 2 next to Keenes cage and she may have even been in a separate room or at least as far away as possible and it still in the end didn't make a difference sadly. It was a very dark day on AA when Zoe was lost and then to hear that years later Elvis succumbed to the same disease even though Holiday rehomed Keene ASAP was doubly cruel.
Oh man, good to know. That’s absolutely heartbreaking.