• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Just got a new bird help

BlindSailo

Moving in
Real Name
Jessica
I have another question, so earlier when i passed out Jakko started screaming, he did so every time i started to nod off and even if i laid on my side, is this normal bird behavior? I dont mind im just curious

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
For a Quaker, in my experience, yes lol

BlindSailo

Moving in
Real Name
Jessica
Little update,
Today he is all over his cage and very chatty, so i got a metal handing kabob and put spinach, carrots, and celery on it, he loves it, i put it by his favorite perch. I also filled his 2nd food dish with kale. So far the kabob is his jam. I was wondering what the best food is for him now that hes really starting to settle in cuz the food the shop sold me is mainly seed and i read that seed diets can cause fatty liver dieses. How ever when i look up the best food for quakers what pops up is basically what im already feeding him.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Best would be:

1. All fresh food with access to unfiltered sunlight 3 or more times a week or a separate multivitamin. Seeds as treats

2. A pellet based diet supplemented with fresh foods. Seeds as treats.

BlindSailo

Moving in
Real Name
Jessica
I know its been awhile but update. Hes now letting me put my hand in the cage and will come up to when i am if im near his cage. He loves to chat if its just me in the room as soon as anyone else comes in he becomes quiet and will sit there like day 1. However if its just me hes playing with his toys and chatting to me. I even sing him his own song that i came up with. He comes out on his own to chill with me. He wont let me touch him yet but we'll get there.

FeatherMan

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mitch
I have another question, so earlier when i passed out Jakko started screaming, he did so every time i started to nod off and even if i laid on my side, is this normal bird behavior?
Oh, heck yes. Birds love having your full attention! Especially noisy guys like Quakers. Glad that you two are starting to bond. Don’t worry that’s it’s taking awhile—that’s totally normal with any type of bird!