• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Just got a new bird help

BlindSailo

Moving in
Real Name
Jessica
Hello,
So 4 days ago i got my first quaker parrot. He wasnt an impulse buy or anything like that. We were preparing weeks in advance after a long discussion on if we should get a bird.
Anyways i ended up getting a blue opal quaker parrot instead of a green cheek concur. We ended up getting him because i rested my hand on his stand and he climbed on me. I had been at the store all day and i found him to be rather sweet. Hes been home now for 4 days and he doesnt move from his spot other then for food and water. Ontop of that he randomly starts chattering which then turns into screams when he gets onto the balcony of his cage which i leave open when im home. He will then jump from it onto me or then floor then continue screaming or chattering. Usually ill have him step up which he has no problem doing and let him chill for awhile before putting him back on his balcony which he'll then just sit there and not move for hours. Is this normal? What is he trying to do?

He also doesnt come up to me while in the cage or show any interest in anything. Im just letting him acclimate to his new home and am not trying to handle him till hes comfortable here. I usually sit by his cage most of the day or lay on my bed which is in sight of his cage. He spends most of his day just staring at me. Is there anyway i can make him more comfortable or help him acclimate faster? Also should i be leaving his balcony open since hes still getting used to being in a new home?

BlindSailo

Moving in
Real Name
Jessica
His name is Jakko by the way. We also ended up putting more toys and perches in. He has 3 new perches and 2 more toys. Were also unsure of his age but the store sells birds as soon as their weened and weens then their self. So were guessing hes still very young. received_615858162428193.jpeg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
He’s still new to your home and they all take some time to settle in and become comfortable with their surroundings.
Im sure you’ll get a tonne of information and advice from the other members so I won’t say much else other than..... Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Jessica and Jakko! 1.welcome signs.gif

Also should i be leaving his balcony open since hes still getting used to being in a new home?
I would let him sit there if he wants to :)

He is still settling in and observing, learning the room, getting used to the new humans. He is only a baby after all and such a big change of scenery must be quite scary.
Try offering a treat when he is watching you. A vegetable chunk, or a berry or a piece of almond.
Talk to him often, you can try singing to him.

Hes been home now for 4 days and he doesnt move from his spot other then for food and water.
He doesn´t really have anywhere to go. While he settles in that´s fine. Maybe going forwards you could find a playstand for him (some people havetrees, others metal or pipe stands, or DIY´s out of racks), somewhere for him to go and play or forage for treats. You could attach a long rope from the cage to the stand to get him there.

@Mizzely

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
A bird needs a destination, or there is no real reason to waste energy moving ;) This is my set up for my Jardine's that won't fly:

IMG_20200919_191846.jpg

If your bird won't take a treat from your hand, you could put a treat in a bowl next to him on the balcony.

Basically you just need to think of your bird as a wild animal, because that's essentially what he is. Take things slowly. Talk to him a lot. Offer treats often. Give him opportunities to explore. Don't let the room be silent - keep white noise, a fan, a radio or TV on. In the wild, silence means danger is coming, and he's likely used to a lot of noise at the pet shop!

Ira

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ira R.
A bird needs a destination, or there is no real reason to waste energy moving ;) This is my set up for my Jardine's that won't fly:

View attachment 355539

If your bird won't take a treat from your hand, you could put a treat in a bowl next to him on the balcony.

Basically you just need to think of your bird as a wild animal, because that's essentially what he is. Take things slowly. Talk to him a lot. Offer treats often. Give him opportunities to explore. Don't let the room be silent - keep white noise, a fan, a radio or TV on. In the wild, silence means danger is coming, and he's likely used to a lot of noise at the pet shop!
That set-up is bird heaven!!!

BlindSailo

Moving in
Real Name
Jessica
Thanks, im putting on a youtube playlist on today while im at work for him. The pet store i got him from gets their birds young and breeds some themselves, when i went in they had lots of nesting birds and babies that they were hand feeding. Also none of the birds other then a few macaws were in cages. Heres a screenshot off google of where i got him.

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Update. Since i turned on the tv for him hes been moving around a little more and even took a few sunflower seeds from me and is making small noises. Thank you guys so much. I guess the quietness of my home was eerie to him.
Yay!!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
He's still new. Have you taken him to the vet? I would suggest ElleAndTheBirds she is very knowledgeable. Congratulations!:grouphug2::budgie2:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum! Your bird is very cute.

BlindSailo

Moving in
Real Name
Jessica
He's still new. Have you taken him to the vet? I would suggest ElleAndTheBirds she is very knowledgeable. Congratulations!:grouphug2::budgie2:
The place i got him at has me bringing him back for a weight check, he lost a little weight since i got him, so they want me to bring him back in. Im shopping right now for a vet for him. Im offering him the same foods the pet shop did including kale and spinach and dried fruit just like the store did.

Ira

Real Name
Ira R.
The place i got him at has me bringing him back for a weight check, he lost a little weight since i got him, so they want me to bring him back in. Im shopping right now for a vet for him. Im offering him the same foods the pet shop did including kale and spinach and dried fruit just like the store did.
Get yourself a digital scale, and don’t freak out if he lost a few grams now. He has to adjust to his new diet.

And I’m not a fan of dried fruit. Too much sugar.

BlindSailo

Moving in
Real Name
Jessica
Get yourself a digital scale, and don’t freak out if he lost a few grams now. He has to adjust to his new diet.

And I’m not a fan of dried fruit. Too much sugar.
Ill keep that in mind, do you mean to much sugar in general or that the manufacturer adds, cuz i have a dehydrator if thats the case

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Fruit is full of sugar (naturally) and dried fruit also nearly always has sulfur as a preservative which is not good for anyone especially our birds. I do dehydrate some things but fruit is a very minimal part of Burt's diet and Squeak gets absolutely no fruit at all. Veg will always be the better choice to feed our birds :)

Just wanted to add that if your bird is only young and just recently weaned then I am guessing he may still be learning or very new to flying? If he is just learning to fly then you can expect some weight loss.

Ira

Real Name
Ira R.
Ill keep that in mind, do you mean to much sugar in general or that the manufacturer adds, cuz i have a dehydrator if thats the case
The dehydrator CONCENTRATES the sugar into a smaller volume. I’m really surprised your pet store uses that as part of a regular daily diet.

Our kinds of birds should get a little fresh fruit twice a week, maybe three times, but small quantities.