• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Just got a cockatiel :)

TBOWMAN006

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Trevor
I've been interested in birds for years and mainly just outdoor birds for that matter. But about last month I started researching cockatiels and fell in love. I just brought home a 3 month old baby male cockatiel. (Atleast I think it's a male. DNA test pending) he already says pretty bird and is such a talker/whistler. I love him. Got him a big big cage with lots of toys and he gets his own room in my house. Hopefully he will enjoy me as much as I enjoy him. Plan to use this forum for help as I am a first time bird owner and you guys have great knowledge. Thanks! Will post more pictures later on, he was a very tired boy it's late here haha

Attachments

BirdG1rl

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Mara M.M
Welcome to the Avenue and congratulations on your new tiel! :D Your featherbaby is gorgeous. Has he got a name yet?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
:welcometrain:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

A.K

Sprinting down the street
Welcome! Do you have a name yet? Is this your first bird? What’s his diet like right now? More pictures!!!

TBOWMAN006

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Trevor
Thanks everyone. As of right now I've just been calling him buddy or bud or bub haha but after dna results i must think of an actual name. Will post more pictures and videos soon. This is my first bird yes

A.K

Sprinting down the street
Thanks everyone. As of right now I've just been calling him buddy or bud or bub haha but after dna results i must think of an actual name. Will post more pictures and videos soon. This is my first bird yes
Okay. Could you tell us his/her diet right now? Do take a look into previous threads, because there is a lot of valuable information.

TBOWMAN006

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Trevor
Okay. Could you tell us his/her diet right now? Do take a look into previous threads, because there is a lot of valuable information.
Yes his diet currently is a 70% seed 30% pellet mixture. This is what he was eating from where I bought him. So I plan to slowly switch it to mostly pellet few seed

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Trevor, Congratulations :) 1.welcome signs.gif

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Welcome and thats a very pretty bird you have there :cool:

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Welcome! Certainly looks like boy - sounds like one also if he is talking and whistling already. Are you sure he is only 3 months old? The yellow face looks quite developed for a 3 month old male.

TBOWMAN006

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Trevor
Welcome! Certainly looks like boy - sounds like one also if he is talking and whistling already. Are you sure he is only 3 months old? The yellow face looks quite developed for a 3 month old male.
That's what I thought too. That is what the people I bought him from said. I requested more info like hatch date and stuff today so I'm waiting to hear back. But yeah that's what they told me, 3 months or so and just weaned.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! He's really cute. I think a lot of tiel owners feed about 50/50 seed- pellets. And of course, vegetables. Since tiels are granivores, I give them a bigger portion of seed than I would other species. There are some studies that indicate that an all pellet diet can be hard on their kidneys.

TBOWMAN006

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Trevor
Welcome! He's really cute. I think a lot of tiel owners feed about 50/50 seed- pellets. And of course, vegetables. Since tiels are granivores, I give them a bigger portion of seed than I would other species. There are some studies that indicate that an all pellet diet can be hard on their kidneys.
Oh okay thanks for the advice!

richietiel

Meeting neighbors
For sure a male. Cockatiels are unique in that they are sexually dimorphic, unlike other parrot breeds. So you can tell by appearance what their gender is unless they have a mutation like lutinos. I agree with others that he looks older than three months, but I could be wrong.

TBOWMAN006

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Trevor
For sure a male. Cockatiels are unique in that they are sexually dimorphic, unlike other parrot breeds. So you can tell by appearance what their gender is unless they have a mutation like lutinos. I agree with others that he looks older than three months, but I could be wrong.
Yes I think it's a male as well. Especially because he's already whistling and so vocal to me. We also just met and he's already steps up and seems like we have a great thing going together. I will keep you and others updated when I get the info back from where I bought him. I'd say he looks older than 3 months too not sure. I did tell her I wanted a baby that was just weaned because I figured that would be best time to get one. She was aware I wanted a 3 month old male, or atleast i thought I made that clear

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Welcome!! Your new tiel is adorable!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
When does your dna test come back?
I wouldn’t bank on your bird being a particular sex simply from what you see and hear, you really need a test unless you know the parent birds and understand mutations etc - we’ve had numerous members here believe their tiel was male (going in visuals and behaviour) till one year their boy bird dropped an egg- female tiels with male names is fairly common lol.