• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Just got a 2 month old Parrotlet, any advice?

lex1500

Meeting neighbors
He’s very sweet and already learned to step up and I only got him a day ago. He is not afraid of me, just of other people. He’s eating and drinking all day. My only worry is that he’s yawning a lot and he’s a little sleepy at moments. Might just be because he is very young? Or cold? Any advice? Thank you

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Hi and welcome!! He is so beautiful!! Some of the members with p’lett s will be on at some time depending the time zone they live in…

I’ve had 2 p’letts. One was a rescue who was with us for 10 years and the other a baby which died a couple of months later. they are so much fun to have.

I also belong to talkparrotlets.com a website just for p’letts and they also have wonderful members always happy to help. Between the 2 sites you should have lots of help.
enjoy your new baby and the site!

lex1500

Meeting neighbors
Hi and welcome!! He is so beautiful!! Some of the members with p’lett s will be on at some time depending the time zone they live in…

I’ve had 2 p’letts. One was a rescue who was with us for 10 years and the other a baby which died a couple of months later. they are so much fun to have.

I also belong to talkparrotlets.com a website just for p’letts and they also have wonderful members always happy to help. Between the 2 sites you should have lots of help.
enjoy your new baby and the site!
Thank you so much !! I want him to live a long life. Every little thing I just get worried about since I’ve only had him for 2 days.

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
Oh he is brand new!! :congrats3:

definitely try to get a wellness check with an avian vet, so you have a history to build upon, also make sure to take his weight on a gram scale, again to build history so you will always know if he holding, gaining or losing weight. Weigh him after his morning poop, though mine just pooped whenever, but before he has his breakfast. (My Bailey - avatar, I swear has 5 gram poops in the morning!)

make sure to introduce him to vegs right away, and yes it will take a while, I used to wet the broccoli head, put a few hemp seeds or millet seeds on it as they would stick, so he gets the taste of vegs as he grabbed the seeds.. frozen peas warmed up in hot water and given to him, i use peas, carrots and corn frozen when in a pinch but if you can fresh veggies is best. Try them in different shapes/cuts…shredded carrots or julienne, etc…

this should get you started until others chime in..:laugh:

BirdG1rl

Real Name
Mara M.M
Welcome! Your bird sounds adorable! I’ll tag @Hermesbird for some additional advice!

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
Heyy and congrats! I love my little parrotlet! All that was mentioned above is great advice! I also agree with talkparrotlet I am a member there also! So much info on our little fiesty feathers fids. lol

secondly I absolutely agree start i troducing veggies and chop sprouts and anything else you may want to be apart of his diet.
Also reminds me I should start weighing my girl lol
Other then that and a lot of patience flowing with him, I think you’ll do alright.

lex1500

Meeting neighbors
Heyy and congrats! I love my little parrotlet! All that was mentioned above is great advice! I also agree with talkparrotlet I am a member there also! So much info on our little fiesty feathers fids. lol

secondly I absolutely agree start i troducing veggies and chop sprouts and anything else you may want to be apart of his diet.
Also reminds me I should start weighing my girl lol
Other then that and a lot of patience flowing with him, I think you’ll do alright.
Thanks so much I appreciate all the advice!