• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Just given a lost Conure

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
What a beautiful little yellow sided. They have such lovely personalities. Prayers for you baby bird.

Menagerie Mama

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heidi
I just adore my YSGCC, she is so smart and affectionate (don’t worry, appropriate touching only!)...watching this thread for a happy landing, so wanting to find out if that means a return to previous owner, or with you

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope the little one isn't sick! What a darling. Hopefully you can either find the owner or have a new family member when this is all said & done.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Hes still with us and REALLY wanted out one I sat down in here. He hoped right on my hand and sat thinking then wanted to fly and flew up to the top of the play stand and started vocalizing with me. I'd go SCREE and he made it back. He's now sitting under my chin neck napping and preening himself and me. He's never offered to bite once and just gives a little scree when he's not happy. Tiny little guy compared to Dobby as well, maybe a tiny bit bigger then a Budgie.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
I put him on Parrot Alert and Craigslist Today and already got a reply but it wasn't him, just a lost bird in the same area. Seems like non bird people think any bird that is close to whatever color your lost or found bird is must be your bird.
At least it is getting seen so we'll see if anyone steps up and gets their family member back.
He seems to slowly be feeling better and is vocalizing and getting more spunky and sassy. My sister came into the computer room and offered him some celery and he dropped it and started pecking and nipping her finger while squaeeking ferociously. He didn't really hurt her and might have just been mad he lost his treat or just got over excited while trying to play. It was kinda funny after we both have been attacked by a very pissed off Maxi Pionus before.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Well sister tried reaching in just now and he started squeaking and pecking and actually drew a tiny bit of blood so thinking he has chosen me and she is seen as someone that is encroaching on his newly found chosen one. He started to nip me till she backed away then he was fine with me again but he has to work so hard to get a real bite in it's not too bad and maybe we'll try the chosen one is not in the room trick and see if he plays nice with her then.
I've gotten a few more replies but not his family yet.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
He seems to be slowly getting better and more active. He's getting more vocal and he and Dobby have screeching fights from across the house. This morning I let him out and he flew all over the room up high landing on curtains and trying to stay out of reach so I think that's a good sign he's feeling better and getting stronger. He gets feisty and tries to bite/pinch fingers when he's in a mood and wants attention. Hes starting to calm down around my sister and will eventually let her change his food and water if she's been there quietly talking to him long enough. Hes sitting on my shoulder now chilling and preening and snoozing. No definite bites from his actual family yet but people comment on other birds, or the same kind but not him. Poor GCC's seem to get lost a lot:(

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
He's been getting more Schizophrenic lately and screams and gets all twitchy and bitey when we approach his cage. I could tell he was still wound up but SLIGHTLY calming down so I finally let him out and waited for him to seem more calm and normal. He finally acted like he wanted on my arm but the minute he stepped on he started biting my arm as hard as he could, then my hands and fingers when I tried to stop him and he ran up to my shoulder so I shook him off then had to fight with him to get him back in his cage. IF I can scritch his head he's good, if he tries to grab my finger he's not ready to play nice and I should have waited longer to make sure he was all calm and happy rather then ticked off still. He's fine other then still being mad in general and I didn't get any outright holes in me but not for him trying as hard as he could.
Is this more normal behavior for these guys till they get used to a new situation or does anyone think maybe he has some issues that aren't apparent now that he's had time to settle in and get stronger. I don't want to push him and ruin any trust we have built up and the darned vet postponed his visit till next Wednesday so wont have any answer there yet either :(

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Seems like non bird people think any bird that is close to whatever color your lost or found bird is must be your bird.
Hah my closest friend kept telling me about her neighbor’s bird. I asked and asked but all she could tell me was its green. You’d think with my flock she could at least find a resemblance.

Is this more normal behavior for these guys till they get used to a new situation or does anyone think maybe he has some issues that aren't apparent now that he's had time to settle in and get stronger. I don't want to push him and ruin any trust we have built up and the darned vet postponed his visit till next Wednesday so wont have any answer there yet either :(
@webchirp

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Is this more normal behavior for these guys till they get used to a new situation or does anyone think maybe he has some issues that aren't apparent now that he's had time to settle in and get stronger.
The fear and anxiety he had in the beginning because of the situation is wearing off. He’s starting to show more of his true colours.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
The fear and anxiety he had in the beginning because of the situation is wearing off. He’s starting to show more of his true colours.
Well I'll much more carefully work with him till he realizes he is safe and I'm trust worthy.
He gets upset when I walk away even after trying to hunt me down through the bars. Funny little guy, if he's in a good mood he's gentle sweetheart.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Well I'll much more carefully work with him till he realizes he is safe and I'm trust worthy.
He gets upset when I walk away even after trying to hunt me down through the bars. Funny little guy, if he's in a good mood he's gentle sweetheart.
Don't forget too that it is that time of year! Jenks is a bit testy during hormone season so I try to go with his mood. More foraging/toys for him to keep him busy and redirection from me to something chewable works well also for us.

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Aw what a sweet baby. I'd be rather glad that he's acting up! So sweet and cuddly scares me. Thanks so much for helping the poor little guy. :heart: He's safe now; I hope he realizes that soon.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Rudy in quarantine was very sweet. When he moved to the bird room he and I didn’t like each other. I tried to send him back 2006 was new to multiple birds but the breeder said switch him out at some bird store. I wasn’t going to do that of course. And now he is my most colorful in all senses bird!
so give it time. Does he have a name yet

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Rudy in quarantine was very sweet. When he moved to the bird room he and I didn’t like each other. I tried to send him back 2006 was new to multiple birds but the breeder said switch him out at some bird store. I wasn’t going to do that of course. And now he is my most colorful in all senses bird!
so give it time. Does he have a name yet
Right now we're kinda holding off in case his family turns up and keeping him fed, watered, and entertained.
You forget I spent 5 years getting Lurch to come to a understanding with me. It was just a surprise when he decided he wasn't going to play nice anymore and went to war with me. It could very well be between a new situation and having a bad time outside he's feeling better and also hormonal because he certainly touchy and doing all kinds of things right now. He has a home one way or the other at this point and like Lurch eventually we'll come to a understanding with each other.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Right now we're kinda holding off in case his family turns up and keeping him fed, watered, and entertained.
You forget I spent 5 years getting Lurch to come to a understanding with me. It was just a surprise when he decided he wasn't going to play nice anymore and went to war with me. It could very well be between a new situation and having a bad time outside he's feeling better and also hormonal because he certainly touchy and doing all kinds of things right now. He has a home one way or the other at this point and like Lurch eventually we'll come to a understanding with each other.
That’s right! Five years is a loooong time and I don’t know if I could manage that. The epitome of patience!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He'll probably come around just fine with patience and your care. I have a few red-bellies I raised from babies who went phobic and wouldn't come near me for several years. They didn't even want to come out of their cages. I never gave up on them and slowly, but surely they became friendly and their true personalities came out. They like to interact, "chat" and be silly. However, they do nip every now and then but so do some of my other red-bellies who never went phobic.