• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Just found out I have two males

fluff86

Walking the driveway
Since I got my two canaries one of them started to sing but the other was always quiet so I assumed I had a male and female.

Today I found out I was wrong. As I was changing the food and water, my canary was singing away but when I looked up, the one that sings wasn't singing, he was on the lower branch watching me and it was the quiet canary singing, so both canaries are singing now which means they are both males.

I have no females. I'm gonna have to look for a female or two or a bonded breeding pair. It be better to breed a pair in a cage rather than breeding more than one pair in a shared space in the aviary as it might cause conflict. It doesn't seem right to remove one of the males from the aviary to put him in a breeding cage with a female after his got used to all that space then suddenly having a small cage so it might be better to find a breeding pair as opposed to just looking for one single female besides I could quite easily end up with a third male as its very hard to tell the gender of a canary until it starts singing.

What would you do. Any suggestions?

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
TBH, I’m just supposing, but the male who gets to breed may consider it a fair trade off.

fluff86

Walking the driveway
The challenge now is tracking down a female... there will be bird sellers out there who will say a canary is female when they don't know themselves just to sell it. Its just a case of knowing 100% that I'm buying a female canary and not another male unless going for a proved breeding pair might be the better option. Right now there are none for sale in my area but breeding season will be arriving soon so some more canary sales may pop up in the next coming months.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
How exciting! :ycanary::ycanary::ycanary:

fluff86

Walking the driveway
Due to the recent test results that show I have an outbreak of Coccidiosis, its for the best that I do not breed my canaries or introduce a female into an infected flock of birds as it could be a death sentence to not only the female canary but also her chicks. I will just be keeping what I have. I can not buy any new birds for a while until the birds have finished there treatments the Coccidiosis has cleared up.

Blueszz

Meeting neighbors
Due to the recent test results that show I have an outbreak of Coccidiosis, its for the best that I do not breed my canaries or introduce a female into an infected flock of birds as it could be a death sentence to not only the female canary but also her chicks. I will just be keeping what I have. I can not buy any new birds for a while until the birds have finished there treatments the Coccidiosis has cleared up.
Sad but smart decision