• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Just flushed the most vile stuff out of Judy's sinuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tangle Elf

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I flushed Judy's sinuses tonight because her nares are completely blocked and she sounds like a kid with a snotty nose when she breathes. My husband is out of town because his friend's memorial service was tonight so I had to manage to do it by myself. That alone was not easy, but I managed. I also managed, barely, to keep the contents of my stomach when the most vile substance came out of her nose. Wouldn't it be nice if that is a good sign that means the nastyness is working its way out. I don't think that's the case, but it would be nice. Judy doesn't even whistle for me or ask for scritches anymore. She just goes to the back corner of the cage when I'm around. Hopefully adding nebulizing with the ampho B helps. I'm still waiting on the prescription so I can pick it up. Hopefully I'll have it and we can start tomorrow.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Hope it works well for you!:hug8::hug8:

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
That sounds horrible! Poor Judy and poor you. I hope the ampho B makes a difference. :hug8:

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The Ampho B should have her feeling a lot better real quick! Sending positive healing energy for you and Judy. You'll be friends again when she's feeling better. Hang in there Jen.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Im sorry dear, but it has to be done. She will forgive you, hang in there, your doing great. :hug8:

AmberMuffinz

Avenue Veteran
Aww, silly girl doesn't know you're just trying to help. She'll forgive you in time :hug8:

Ming-Ming

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
Awww she'll forgive you!
what did the stuff look like? i've never seen flushed sinuses before.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm so sorry for you and Judy - what a trial it has been for both of you. Amphotericin B is the only fungicidal ( kills fungus) among the comon treatments for Aspergillosis. It is terribly kidney toxic when given IV and less so when administered by nebulization. Itraconozole and terbinifine are fungistatic ( slow down the the acttivity of fungus) and are administered orally only.

Even though the odds are not positive -DON'T GIVE UP - with constant care and an outstanding vet Hank lived 14 years after he should have died (more than once). It's so hard, but stay with the program.

The last two years, when he should have been dead, his personality shined through and he was a very happy bird. And I was a happy companion to him. I love him so much and miss him so much, there is no way to measure it.

Last edited:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
:hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:

65sunnyday

Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
Is there a vet tech available who could come to you for a modest cost & be the 'bad guy' (doing the nasal flushes.) Either at your home, or at the vets if it's nearby? Then you'd be the rescuer:marlenesmile:, not the person to be feared :( Best of luck to both of you!

Teasha

I don't Judys whole story but if she has a stuffy nose, I have a suggestion.

I foster a lot of cats and kittens. I've had quite a few with upper respiratory and their noses get plugged up. I use something called Little Ones Nasal Drops. It's in the baby section. If I am not totally off and this may help, ask your vet if this is ok to use? It's in the baby section in the pharmacy or Walmart. :)

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Is there a vet tech available who could come to you for a modest cost & be the 'bad guy' (doing the nasal flushes.) Either at your home, or at the vets if it's nearby? Then you'd be the rescuer:marlenesmile:, not the person to be feared :( Best of luck to both of you!
The occasional nasal flush I could take her to.the vet for, but she has to have daily shots as well.

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I don't Judys whole story but if she has a stuffy nose, I have a suggestion.

I foster a lot of cats and kittens. I've had quite a few with upper respiratory and their noses get plugged up. I use something called Little Ones Nasal Drops. It's in the baby section. If I am not totally off and this may help, ask your vet if this is ok to use? It's in the baby section in the pharmacy or Walmart. :)
I will look into if. Thank you.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
:hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Wishing you the best.:hug8:

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hang in there Jen! I know this has been difficult for both you and Judy. Mary Lynn's post was uplifting. She has lots of experience and her Hank definitely was a happy bird during his illness. Just remember Judy is not feeling well and her behavior may have nothing to do with you. Keeping you both in my prayers. :hug8:

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Status
Not open for further replies.