• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Just caught my budgies mating!

Zaphradoo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Holly
I have two budgies just over one year old. When I first bought them it was unclear of their sex, but since they have matured I now know they are male and female. Earlier today I found the male mating with the female!! What should I do!! There is no nesting box in the cage, but I do have one. I really just want to be prepared if she is to lay some eggs.
Our cage is fairly large, and would want them to be happy if they do have babies.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! 2D3B7F87-5E37-402C-9E18-1A605BAE8574.jpeg

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
I don't know too much about breeding and babies, but @Zara does. Don't let them raise babies unless you are completely prepared and know how to hand feed in case you need to step in. They shouldn't lay unless there's a nest box or other enclosed dark space. They still might, though. Zara should be able to answer better.

Zaphradoo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Holly
I don't know too much about breeding and babies, but @Zara does. Don't let them raise babies unless you are completely prepared and know how to hand feed in case you need to step in. They shouldn't lay unless there's a nest box or other enclosed dark space. They still might, though. Zara should be able to answer better.

I will put the nesting box in for safety of the female and or babies if it does happen. Where should a nesting box be placed? I will research on how to hand feed and get necessary supplies. I will step in if needed!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I really just want to be prepared if she is to lay some eggs.
Just remove any eggs laid. If you see her stressing looking for it, boil it and put it back where you found it.

Don´t add a nesting box, that will only encourage them.

Some birds will mate without laying eggs. Eggs doesn´t mean you need to let them breed and the eggs hatch.

If you want to breed, do your research and be fully prepared way in advance, not researching as you go, because there really is a lot to take in.

Cute birds btw :) That´s a nice cage set up you have.

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Yeah, don't put in the nest box. That just encourages her to lay. Also make sure she is getting at least 12 hours of undisturbed sleep every night. Your budgies are adorable!

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Your budgies are adorable & that looks like a really nice cage! Any chance of more pics?
I'd just follow Zara's advice regarding eggs.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The presence of a nesting box may stimulate more hormones. Birds need condition first before raising chicks.

Zaphradoo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Holly
Just remove any eggs laid. If you see her stressing looking for it, boil it and put it back where you found it.

Don´t add a nesting box, that will only encourage them.

Some birds will mate without laying eggs. Eggs doesn´t mean you need to let them breed and the eggs hatch.

If you want to breed, do your research and be fully prepared way in advance, not researching as you go, because there really is a lot to take in.

Cute birds btw :) That´s a nice cage set up you have.
thanks for your post, I adore these two birds, so very sweet!! I will do my research and get any needed supplies if any babies arrive! I couldn’t discard or not let them have kin. But will make sure after that they don’t Continue this behaviour. I have everything they need and always put fresh lettuce (their fav) out regularly. I will be sure they are always well taken care of! I wouldn’t have it any other way!
Your budgies are adorable & that looks like a really nice cage! Any chance of more pics?
I'd just follow Zara's advice regarding eggs.
I have lots of pictures!! Lol they are so adorable!!!!! I will read up and be prepared!!

Gigibirds

Aww, they are just so cute!
I will do my research and get any needed supplies if any babies arrive! I couldn’t discard or not let them have kin.
So are you saying that if they lay eggs you won't get rid of them? If so, I completely understand and I feel/felt the same way (that's how I ended up with two darling little lovebirds!). But now we no longer have the male :( so there is no more chance of them having more babies right now. But chances are that your birds will lay eggs, and if you won't take them out/boil them then you will need to do some other things. You would need to get them a nice nesting box, nesting material, egg food/calcium supplements (mainly for your gorgeous little hen), etc. Also in case the eggs hatched, and they rejected the babies, you would need to be prepared to raise the lil' guys. So that would mean getting a brooder, heating pad, syringes (or spoon), scale, etc. And you would also need to either find homes in advance for the chicks or be prepared to keep them all. So basically what I'm telling you is: It's a lot of work! But if that's what you want, and if you research it all very carefully, it is a very exciting, rewarding and joyful process. But some people think breeding should only be left to professionals! Either way, they are your birds, and it's up to you! But if you won't get rid of any eggs, then I'm just warning you that you need to be prepared for everything.
Also your birds are just soooo cute! I love their colours so much, and if they were mine I would definitely let them have a clutch of babies! Good luck with your adorable birdies! :)

Zaphradoo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Holly
Aww, they are just so cute!

So are you saying that if they lay eggs you won't get rid of them? If so, I completely understand and I feel/felt the same way (that's how I ended up with two darling little lovebirds!). But now we no longer have the male :( so there is no more chance of them having more babies right now. But chances are that your birds will lay eggs, and if you won't take them out/boil them then you will need to do some other things. You would need to get them a nice nesting box, nesting material, egg food/calcium supplements (mainly for your gorgeous little hen), etc. Also in case the eggs hatched, and they rejected the babies, you would need to be prepared to raise the lil' guys. So that would mean getting a brooder, heating pad, syringes (or spoon), scale, etc. And you would also need to either find homes in advance for the chicks or be prepared to keep them all. So basically what I'm telling you is: It's a lot of work! But if that's what you want, and if you research it all very carefully, it is a very exciting, rewarding and joyful process. But some people think breeding should only be left to professionals! Either way, they are your birds, and it's up to you! But if you won't get rid of any eggs, then I'm just warning you that you need to be prepared for everything.
Also your birds are just soooo cute! I love their colours so much, and if they were mine I would definitely let them have a clutch of babies! Good luck with your adorable birdies! :)
I appreciate your response!! I have been reading and watching videos the past few hours, and totally understand how much work it could be!
We have young children here, 4 and 7 and we are very active around the birds. These two budgies love to watch the kids play and both ways enjoy each other!
I recall many days and nights of regular feeding and sleepless nights, so I am accustomed to that scenario. I will order what I need for the possibility of a few more feathered friends!! I sure hope mom and dad will be good parents though but of course big mama will gladly step in!! Nervous but excited what may happen!! Wish us all luck!! I will document throughout the process

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Don't feel bad breaking or boiling their eggs, no life has formed if you discard them in the first day or two. It's a lot of work on the hen to raise babies, and often the first clutch dies because they aren't properly taken care of by the parents. This is way harder to go through than breaking the eggs before they develop.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
An egg is just an egg until incubation begins.
I whole-heartedly agree, research comes well and truely before breeding.
Are you prepared for the vet bills if something goes wrong? And it's not just the babies you can lose, i lost a hen to breeding related issues.

Zaphradoo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Holly
thanks for your post, I adore these two birds, so very sweet!! I will do my research and get any needed supplies if any babies arrive! I couldn’t discard or not let them have kin. But will make sure after that they don’t Continue this behaviour. I have everything they need and always put fresh lettuce (their fav) out regularly. I will be sure they are always well taken care of! I wouldn’t have it any other way!

I have lots of pictures!! Lol they are so adorable!!!!! I will read up and be prepared!!

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Some other things to consider,

Are you sure these birds are not related?
Have you taken them for a health checkup recently , it´s always advised and talk to your vet, tell them you re planning on breeding them and you want to be sure they are in the best condition to do that.
What sort of lettuce? Choose romaine over iceberg. Also try offering other veggies too, green carrot tops, bok choy, peppers, pumpkin, broccoli, a good mix.
You might want to look at pellets too, consult with your vet see if they need them or a diet supplement.

Items to purchase;
-Hand rearing formula
-Feeding utensil - I use syringes but always recommend feeding spoons to a novice
-Candy thermometer to check formula temperature
-brooder
-heating pad if your brooder is not a professional one
-Aspen shavings - Course pine is ok if you can´t get aspen. Never fine pine, and never ever cedar.
-Thermometer (digital) for monitoring brooder temperature
-Hygrometer for monitoring humidity inside the brooder
-Weighing scales - you can use a gram scale, or as your birds are budgies, a 0.01 scale
-Pedialyte, or natural unflavoured coconut water
-Papaya
-Nursery cage with plenty of perches (to move the birds into after they fledge)

Zaphradoo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Holly
Some other things to consider,

Are you sure these birds are not related?
Have you taken them for a health checkup recently , it´s always advised and talk to your vet, tell them you re planning on breeding them and you want to be sure they are in the best condition to do that.
What sort of lettuce? Choose romaine over iceberg. Also try offering other veggies too, green carrot tops, bok choy, peppers, pumpkin, broccoli, a good mix.
You might want to look at pellets too, consult with your vet see if they need them or a diet supplement.

Items to purchase;
-Hand rearing formula
-Feeding utensil - I use syringes but always recommend feeding spoons to a novice
-Candy thermometer to check formula temperature
-brooder
-heating pad if your brooder is not a professional one
-Aspen shavings - Course pine is ok if you can´t get aspen. Never fine pine, and never ever cedar.
-Thermometer (digital) for monitoring brooder temperature
-Hygrometer for monitoring humidity inside the brooder
-Weighing scales - you can use a gram scale, or as your birds are budgies, a 0.01 scale
-Pedialyte, or natural unflavoured coconut water
-Papaya
-Nursery cage with plenty of perches (to move the birds into after they fledge)
I usually give them a baby leaf salad mix with kale. I offer broccoli, peas and many other choices. They prefer just their lettuce mix.
I do not know if they are related, I asked the shop if they knew, but they said they just receive their birds from a breeder with no information provided.
I offer a millet spray about once a week and feed them kaytee budgie fiesta mix. They have a cuttle bone and a mineral block. I also set out a small dish with calcium grit.
I give them fresh water daily and mist them with a spray bottle and alternating a bird bath as well.
Do to our location being extremely rural, the only aviation vets are 2.5 hours away. So I have not had them in for a check up.
As much as I would love for them to have their clutch, I am thinking the best option would be to not let them have babies. I would be crushed if something was to go wrong and potentially lose my birds.
All of the posts I have read, and all the reading and watching of videos about raising chicks have me thinking more now that it isn’t worth the chance if it wasn’t perfectly planned.
Thank to all and your amazing information you have brought forward!!!

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
In that first picture I see a sort of snuggle hut. The birds would see that in the same way they would see a nesting box, please remove it. They may be planning on nesting there.